UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Trying to get in some fun for the kids

Today, despite only having a few hours of sleep and waking up with a horrible headache, I refused to let this cancer ruin my free "no medical tests" day. Today I was taking the kids to the zoo, and I didn't care what pain I was in, or what drug side effects I was going to be dealing with, we were getting to that zoo, and we were going to have fun!
And we did.

Thanks to the help of my parents, cooperative weather, and the Lord giving me the strength, it was a lot of fun seeing the kids become so thrilled about the same animals they've seen about a million times already. The excitement of my 2 1/2 year old is nothing but priceless.

I spent the rest of the evening just sitting out in the backyard, sipping a margarita, making some phone calls and just enjoying watching the kiddos play.


Tomorrow is an early day, and depending on these medical tests that deal with the blood vessels around my tumor or something like that, I might be admitted to the hospital on Thursday before my surgery Friday morning. I'll also have to have another headbanging MRI tomorrow.
I'm a little on edge. Not really worried about the surgery or anything
yet. Just not looking forward to the whole process of it all. I'm whining right now because I can't eat past midnight, I have to get up early to be at the hospital, and I'm sure I'll be stuck a million more times with needles. What silly things to be annoyed with right now!

I'm also thinking about next week and all that needs to be put in place as my kids venture back to school the first week in September. I know Melvin and my mom can handle it...but school...well, that's sorta my thing. So it's hard for me to just let it go.
As a last note, several of you have wondered if I'd have access to my blog during all this. I don't know. I gave my mom instructions on how to update, so hopefully she can give you some info...or else just check in the comments section and maybe she'll have included something.




As usual, I thank you for all your prayers and thoughts of healing. We continue to be surrounded by such love from everyone. And I truly feel at peace that all will be well. I feel the Lord doing amazing things amongst my family...moving so many people closer to Him...and that is what this life is all about.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.....for now. Michelle

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger cg said...

Oh Cari, I will be thinking about you and your precious family

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really don't even know you but am heartbroken for you all... and now a journey of a different kind begins for you and your family....my prayer is that our LORD gives you all the strength to deal with whatever path you are taken on...my days are filled with thoughts of you and your family, much love, support, and prayers are always with you!! PS what a joyful day you had with your children....worth every step of pain to see their smiles : ))))

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari, I am praying hard for you and the doctors and nurses. God has been prompting me hard....your situation pops into my mind many times a day so I know that He is keeping me diligent for you and your family.

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,
First of all, those pictures are just adorable. Peeking out from under that branch? Priceless.
I understand what you're saying about doing the school thing--somehow that is just such a "mom" item (knowing that someone else can do it but wanting to do that part yourself)--proves what a great and loving mother you are. There are people all over PA, NJ and NY who are praying on your account at my request. I hope that you continue to feel their presence and love. I wish you the best over the next two days of procedures and will be looking forward to hearing about your recovery and progress. You remain foremost in my thoughts. Debbie Cip

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,

The Children's Staff at WHC will be covering you in prayer. May God's peace, protection and healing fall on you.

Paula Bowlby

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari, you give me strength. The Lord is clearly working through you and with you. Your family is as beautiful as you are and we feel so blessed to have you as neighbors. The new news was a bit devastating to "hear" -- I am such a wimp when it comes to 'medical news' and just want everyone to be healthy, happy and grumpy (as needed) with no external obstacles. Life clearly doesn't always go according to OUR master plan. I have never stopped praying for you and, of course, will step-it-up-a-notch! I will be thinking about you (duh!) and will wait eagerly for the awesome, perfect news from you or your mom about the success of the surgery!
May the Lord continue to bless you with the empowering strength you possess and may He lead you to complete understanding of His master purpose for you in this lifetime.
Paula R.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Caro said...

That is a beautiful picture.

You will be in my thoughts Friday.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Angela's Kitchen said...

I am glad you guys got out and about. I know it's one of your favorite things! The kiddos and I are pulling all the praying stops out for you.

I really missed you today...

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger LH said...

Cari, I've been so preoccupied with school starting, I haven't been reading anyone's blog. I just caught up tonight with your scene. I'm kind of floored right now, but I want you to know I'm thinking about you and sending you all good thoughts. Much, much love!
Lee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home