UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, August 15, 2008

Just the facts.

Disclaimer: Please allow me to preface this with a reminder...except for being married to a doctor, I have NO medical background. So my information will be vague, probably quite elementary sounding, and hopefully at least somewhat correct!

Praise the Lord my husband is doctor. Which sometimes can be a pain...when they know too much...but mostly it's such an incredible blessing. Without his level-headeness, knowledge, patience and calmness, I would never be able to decipher all the information being thrown at me.
My husband and I went see Dr. Jerone Kennedy today, a well-recommended neurosurgeon. Looking at all my scans, he said the tumor is too big to remain and it will need to be removed. Fortunately, it looks like they can resect it (resect is my new medical word of the day) because of its location, and because it appears to just be a solid mass.

Until they actually take it out, they won't know what it is. Very best case scenerio, the miracle one, when I have all my tests done next week, the tumor will have miraculously disappeared. Next best case scenario, it's just some benign tumor that will just be removed and all will be well. Most medically likely, it's breast cancer mestasticised to the brain. Or it could be a completely separate tumor, which could actually be worst, depending on what it is. So those are the scenarios we're looking at here.

The surgeon doesn't feel that getting the tumor out will be a problem. They'll actually be doing all these crazy tests next week where they'll map out different parts of my brain so that they make sure they don't cut out the important fuctions of my mind. I could possibly have some vision and math function issues as a reult of the surgery.

The earliest the surgery could be is next Friday, but most likely the following week. I'll be in ICU for a couple days and then in the hospital for a week.

Those are just the facts. Obviously, there's so much more going on...even a lot that I'm finding quite amusing, but I just need to TRY and get some rest, and not be long winded here.

As usual, thanks so much for all the well wishes and prayers. They're so needed. I'll be posting some of the verses people have been sending me. They're such a comfort.

I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You along, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.Psalm 4:8

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 3:37 PM, Blogger Chris H said...

Hi there chick, came over from TMI... all the best for the upcoming surgery... I am sure everyone is praying for you ... I will just keep my fingers and toes crossed for a positive outcome OK!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I was just going to call you, but I think I will let you attempt to sleep. I'll try you this weekend.

Do you want to meet with the spa mommies for dinner out this week?

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger momo said...

your doctor sounds confident that he will be able to remove what's in there, and i am thankful for that. thank you for updating us, and although we've never met - i want you to know that you are in my prayers daily, for peace during this crazy time, for wisdom for the doctors in the treatment they prescribe and for comfort for you and your family as you go through this together.

big hugs to you.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Caro said...

I am rounding up everybody I know to pray for you.

I wish we could pray it away completely. We'll be trying.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I found your blog through Andrea's (chasing2boys). I just hope you know that even though I never met you,I am praying for you too! You sound like a brave confident woman, with a great sense of humor.
Your kids are beautiful. Ella and my son Preston have the same exact birthdate! And I am truly jealous that you have her potty trained! I'd do anything for that.
My blog is monkeyandmommyraab.blogspot.com

Good luck to you!

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger mi said...

Hang in there. I can't believe you are going through this again/still. You will get through this new huge bump in the road, but I sure to do feel for you. Just know how very many people have you in their thoughts and prayers.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Jana said...

You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, Cari.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger JJ said...

Praying for a miracle, or at least the best case scenario.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home