UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Not what I expected.

(See Update Below)

For the past month I've been having headaches. I didn't think too much of them until a bad migraine last week and then just continued headaches throughout the week. Yesterday it was bad. I felt that my head was going to explode! A couple times I could feel my head throbbing.

So I finally called the doctor, and the nurse said that although it's probably just my body adjusting to all my running and exercise, we'd do an MRI of my brain just to make sure and put myself at ease.

Well, it's not something I can just brush off. The doctor who read the scan (it was late at night so it wasn't my regular oncologist), told me that there's a 1 1/2 inch spot on my brain. That's what's causing all the pain. They gave me steroids to relieve the pressure. It feels better. But I was up all night last night.

I will probably have the lesion biopsyed or removed entirely.

I know nothing else, except that if it's the triple negative variety breast cancer mestasticized to my brain, then that's not really good. If it's a totally separate kind of cancer, that's actually better news apparently. Or maybe it's just some cute little adorable dot just decorating my brain...I heard that's the latest style!

I'll update when I have more info.

Update

So here's the deal. After my oncologist and general surgeon looked at the report, they said it's most likely cancer.

You're probably wondering how that can happen if I just had a scan that said I was all free and clear....well, what I thought was a full body scan, was only a scan in the breast and chest area. They only do the whole body if there are other symptoms. I didn't know that obviously. With my cancer being Triple Negative breast cancer, and being so aggressive, I'm surprised that they didn't do an entire scan. Needless to say, I'm not happy about that, but oh well.

I will have a PET scan tomorrow, that will scan me from my knees to my neck (they don't need to do my brain since the more precise MRI was completed yesterday). I sure hope no cancer in my tippy toes appears, since apparently that area will be bypassed.

Then on Friday I will meet with a neurosurgeon. He'll read the scans and then we'll decide a plan of action from there. If the tumor can be removed, then that will be the plan, along with radiation. If not, I will just have radiation.

I have no idea when I'll have the surgery, or where I'll even have it. How do you know who the best doctor is? We have the renowned Mayo Clinic nearby, but is that really the best place to go for my situation?

So we obviously need some serious prayer.

On a good note, the steroids are sill working and my head doesn't hurt. On a bad note, they keep me up....I can't sleep. But on a good note again...with my new found steroid induced energy, I'm being very productive!

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger momo said...

omg, i'm so sorry that you're going through this! seriously. i'm going to be praying that its just a lesion, that's all.

big hugs, girl. please let us know.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger C said...

I am praying for you and hoping that you get some reassuring news ASAP!!
Carina

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh Cari, I am so sorry to hear this. I have faithfully followed your journey and was so hoping it was all finished. I will be praying, you can count on that.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger pl said...

Serious prayers are coming your way!

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please know you've got lots of people praying for you.

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

Although I am saddened by your news, I am elated by your attitude! You have got to be thee bravest, strongest, most full of faith young (or old for that matter) woman I've had the pleasure of knowing. You, Max, and the kids are, as always, in my prayers!

Love you much,
Auntie Nita

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger AnnD said...

OH crap girl

And I thought you were just 'boring' and it was all just a bump in the road last year. I know you will understand what that means.

Hugs & prayers from Canada

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow!...um, I got your back with prayer.....kinda left speechless so I will just start prayin' instead!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger KC said...

I'm so sorry. I'm praying for you.

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey cari this is cortez i luv u so much and i will keep praying for u and the family LUV YALL....!


CORTEZ

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. This suck for you and your family. You are a great writer and person. I love your stories on your kids as it so true. I am praying for a miracle. GOD bless you and your family. I do not know why these things happen to the nices people.

 
At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,
No words will "work" right now. All I can say is please know that all of us here in New Jersey that know and love you are consumed with concern and empathy for what you are going through right now. We are constantly thinking of you and your family and PRAYING hard for you. If you need someone to talk to or YELL to, I AM HERE. Do NOT give up the fight!!!!! YOU ARE STRONG----never forget that!!!!!! Love to you, Melvin, and the kids.
Cousin Michelle

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carie, was so sorry to hear the news. I can't imagine going through what you are with 3 little ones that depend on you. Your little ones with your faith and prayers will give you the strengh that you need to get through this. I prayed for you all day yesterday and the prayers will continue. Thanks for the update! Love, Pat Harry

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Jaye said...

(After the update post): Oh, man! Well, GOD is still on your side and we will keep praying that your head and rest of your body will be as cancer-free as your torso area, when all is said and done.

"Nay in all things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us." Rom 8:37

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari--we are neighbors of your incredible parents. They have kept us up to date on your previous battle, and now this recent horrible news. We will continue to pray for you and your sweet family that you will conquer this too. Stay strong, and keep the faith.
Bernice and Matthew

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

After talking to you tonight at Football, I think I was in shock. When we got home and put the kids to bed, it hit me and I feel so sorry for you and your family! Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Please, take Tom up on his offer...if you want an "IN" at Mayo, all he has to do is make the call for you! Please, please let me know of anything that I can do for you (taking the kids, helping with meals...anything!).

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger mi said...

Cari,
What awful news. I'm so sorry you are continuing on this path. I hope they can remove the tumor, and give you a swift recovery into complete remission.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home