UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Which pill do I want today?

I hate taking drugs. Well, unless you're about to have a baby, then I say BRING THEM ON! But other than that, I usually try to do without taking extra pain killers, cold medicines or other medical and natural remedies.

But today I have taken the following:

Zoloft...for obvious reasons.

Decadron...this is the steroid that is supposed to be reducing the swelling around my tumor, which is causing all the pain. It doesn't seem to be working very well. It keeps me up and wired, but the pain is still there.

Tylenol...right now I'm taking some extra strength stuff, but it's not working. I might be switching to some Vicodin or something stronger tonight, but I really don't want to be all drugged out.

Keppra...this is anti-seizure medicine. There is concern that until the tumor is out and all has settled back in, I could have convulsions or something. This is actually the same medicine that was prescribed to Cameron last year when he had that lone seizure. I'm so glad we decided to take him off the meds, because this Keppra is some strong stuff. On the good side, it seems to have counteracted the jitteriness of the steroids, but on the flip side, it makes me lightheaded and a bit dizzy. No driving for me obviously.

At least I can seem to relax abit now with the Keppra added. I so just want to be fine for my kids. Right now I have shuffled them off to a friends' house for a few hours, but really, I don't want to keep doing that. Melvin and I still need to talk about what we're going to tell the kids, as they have no clue yet what's going on. We have quite a few appointments next week as well, doing testing for surgery, and also looking at other options down at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, just to get a 2nd opinion and to cover all our bases.

But I feel the Lord getting things in place for us, and I know he will not abandon us.

"Nay in all things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us." Rom 8:37

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart breaks for you and your family. Most people would question God and his plan, but you have shown great faith in HIS plan. My prayers are with you and your family and those darling children.....keep the faith and be strong!!!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger LoveHopeFaith said...

Cari, your news is heartbreaking, and unbelievable. God is good and he will provide, stay strong and be faithful. Our family will pray be praying for you and your family daily. Big hugs and kisses.
Love Brenda

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Jaye said...

My prayers and those of my entire household and fellowships are with and for you and your family. "But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord." I Cor. 15:57-58

You are loved by the Creator of the heavens and the earth, who will move said heavens and earth to take care of you!

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Caro said...

Regarding labor and pain meds, why is it that labor is called natural when you go without pain meds? It doesn't feel natural to me.

800 mg Motrin is my favorite headache relief.
Tylenol does nothing for me.

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Robert Fraser and i would like to show you my personal experience with Vicodin.

I am 27 years old. Have been on Vicodin for 1 day now. Found a few pills. I'm currently not an addict though I have taken vicodin in the past and I am certainly playing with the devil because I do like the feeling it gives me. Biggest problem, besides the addiction, is Insomnia. Tossed and turned for two hours before I decided to research it.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
Constipation and insomnia.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Robert Fraser

 

Post a Comment

<< Home