UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, August 01, 2008

My own performance review

One of the most difficult things about being a Stay-at-home Mom, after having the experience of a career, is the lack of recognition you receive. When you work at a job, people see what you do. You get praised, you get "thank you's", you may even get a raise. At the very least, you get a paycheck. Something tangible to show the results of your labor.

When you're a stay at home mom, most of the time no one sees what you do. No one recognizes the daily dishwasher unloading, no one notices the spills you're constantly cleaning up, no one pays attention to the driving back and forth to the kids' various functions.
And that's fine. I've come to realize that the screams for attention, the need for too many kisses to prolong bedtime and my kids' begging me to push them higher on their swings is my reward...whether anyone recognizes my work or not.

But today, I just need a little recognition. Because on a BEAUTIFUL summer day like today, I spent a few hours doing work that I will NEVER get recognition for. So I'm just going to pat myself on the back for all the time I spent cleaning out my junk drawers/cabinets that have cluttered up my kitchen for way too long! (Since I'm a packrat, this is a HUGE accomplishment on my part...parting with 3 grocery bags full of crap!).
And since none of you had the privilege of being a part of this cleaning extravaganza, I'll post some pictures for you to enjoy! Ha. Ha.

Now please, take this time to post a comment, recognizing yourself for some unnoticable chore you did today!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Angela's Kitchen said...

Great job, Cari!

BUT -

You can never look in my cupboards. Ever.

;o)

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Wow! GREAT job. Will you come and do mine now? :-)

I attempted to go through my mudroom bins. I only got rid of 5 pairs of shoes, and 3 diaper bags..but it is a start! Oh, and 3 loads of laundry, but who's counting...

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Way to go!

Good Job!

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger AnnD said...

Wow - junk drawers are an accomplishment.

We did get recognized at work on Friday - alcholol delivered to our cubbies for a job well done (we survived a major tech snafu - not our fault) ... we didn't lose a few millions.

I still think the junk draw clean up is a more worthy accomplishment!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

You make me so proud! GOOD JOB, mom... You're the best mom in the whole entire world... Thanks for being you!

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did such a good job (A+) that you can come back to NJ and work on mine! Great Job Car! Luv u, Mom

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Jaye said...

Very nice work there, Cari! I'm taking notes!

I cleaned the bathroom sink (again) this morning at 5:55 am, before putting on my makeup and getting ready for morning prayer. Not much, but I normally don't have a lot of time to do something like that in the morning, since I have to be out of the house by 6:30! I'm sure no one noticed, because everyone is just awake enough to pray and go back to bed (except for me). Oh well....

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Your drawers look very nice.

My biggest accomplishment today was not screaming at the top of my lungs in the store. And by that I mean hiding in a corner by myself and letting out a shriek. My son was having a moment. What is it with men and shopping?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home