UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Reading

Yesterday, in order to calm both Cameron and Max down after dinner, I made Cameron read his required school book Harold and the Purple Crayon to Max.

As he read to him, on each page, he asked him a question. “Max what do you think Harold is drawing? No, not a moon. Should I give you a hint? It starts with a SSSS sound; it’s something you walk on….”

This continued throughout the entire book. I’d occasionally overhear from the other room. “No Max, are you even listening? You have to listen to know the answers.” Or a “Right! Good job Max.”

Afterwards, Cameron came into the kitchen to tell me about the questioning strategy he was doing with Max. “And do you know why I was asking him all those questions?”

“Why?” I responded.

“So that he could understand the story better. When you ask questions, it helps you understand the story.”

What a little teacher.

----------------------------------------------------------

On another book note. Today I bought Ella a Backyardigans book from the bookstore. The title is something like The Backyardigans and the Polka Party. As soon as she saw the cover of the book, she said, “Polka!”

Wish I could say my little darling could read…but really…she just watches too much Nickelodeon.
(Ella picture taken by Sara)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

Isn't it great when the older ones can read to the younger ones! It saves so much time and gives me some quiet time to think!

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

fantastic four,
I actually got the idea from you. You mentioned it at b-ball practice on Saturday. Thanks!

Ella won't sit for Cameron, though. She will for me, but refuses for him!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Caro said...

You have got some of the most beautiful children I have ever seen.

I wonder where yur son gets that teaching gene from? LOL

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Oops, it looks like the spelling gene may pass my children by.

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't it make your heart leap for joy when you see your kids helping each other? That picture of the boys is so cute - Max looks so serious!

Ella is so cute!

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love, love, LOVE Harold and the Purple Crayon. It's so sweet. Way to be a great big brother AND a great teacher, Cameron!

The photo is priceless.

I was feeling guilty because I wasn't reading to my youngest as much as I did to the other two, but then I realized, it's because I never get a turn. The big kids are giving her all the reading time and more than I would be able to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home