UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

I LOVE school! Repeat.


Cameron keeps complaining about school. His reasons are completely innocuous, and actually quite preposterous (using the thesaurus…can you tell!). They deal with not getting to play with his friends, not being able to watch movies during snack time (like in Kindergarten), not getting a drink at snack time (like in Kindergarten), etc. I think I’ve lectured him so much about the importance of an education and his attitude about school that whenever anyone asks him if he likes school, and I’m within earshot, he sorta mumbles a “yeah.” I figure that saying it is the first step to believing it. (My brother will probably say that I’m brainwashing the kid).


If anyone should be complaining about going to school, it should be Max. Because his preschool is on the days that I usually get together with his girlfriend’s mom and some other friends. Last week we went to the zoo, and without Max there, well, his Abby decided to move on to younger, more available men.

I guess when the cats away, the mouse will play…even if she’s only three!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"brainwashing" isn't the term I'd use. "socializing" would probably be more appropriate.

I think maybe a constructive solution isn't so much to demand he enjoy school(ing), as kids know how they feel and respond appropriately to their inherent desires, but instead to confirm his frustrations and help him see some personal benefit in the process.

I mean, let's face it, school is the same as work...it's not something we really WANT to do, it's something we are coerced/forced to do. There is no point in deceiving our children and inadvertently making them feel bad for not enjoying school

doh! works over! outta here!

-s

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a single woman, I applaud Abby for keeping her options open! Cute picture - reminds me of a greeting card!

Perhaps Cameron will find school more enjoyable as the year progresses - I know that in the beginning, there's a transition period, and a lot of stuff is review (boring!). Maybe a month from now, when the class is doing more "grown-up" exciting things (studying the food chain, or something like that), his attitude will change. You could encourage him in that way - help him to anticipate the fact that he will be learning something new everyday!

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

I agree with -s, you don't want to make him feel guilty for not liking school. Have you tried explaining to him that he's older now and that big boys don't do the same thing in first grade that they did in kindergarten? It doesn't really seem like he doesn't enjoy learning, so much as he misses the things he did in kindergarten. Maybe you could even try giving him a snack and a movie when he gets in from school.
Good luck! And whatever you do with Cameron I hope you remember it because you'll most likely have to go through it a couple more times with Max and Ella!

Love you much,
Auntie Nita

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Caro said...

I loved that last picture.

I hope Cameron adjusts to first grade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home