UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Strength of Women



I love being a woman. Because when a woman is in crisis, her fellow sisters come running.

I cannot even begin to tell you about all the cards, e-mails, treats, flowers, etc. that I’ve been showered with since word of my cancer got out.

Messages from people I don’t even know have been pouring in. Complete strangers who have also dealt with breast cancer have been offering a lending “ear” for any questions I may have.

Individuals in my church’s mom’s group organized a prayer meeting, have taken me shopping, stopped by for visits, picked up the kids, made me treats and are constantly checking in on me.

My neighbor across the street, Katie, went into high gear. Not only did she personally offer tons of help for me, she organized the help from everyone else. She sent out an e-mail to our neighborhood list and compiled names, numbers and services people volunteered to do for me. My other neighbor down the street, Anne, then put this all in a spreadsheet for me, so that I knew exactly who to call if I needed help with the kids, errands run, etc. Katie also organized for meals to be delivered at 5:30, hot and ready to be eaten, for the first week after my surgery. I’ve been living the life of luxury, let me tell you! My husband asked if we can continue these meals for a month, as he’s never eaten so well, on a consistent basis.

Our nanny Sara has been at our beck and call, willing to stay for whatever we need her for, even giving up time on the weekend to help care for the kids when needed.

And then of course I can’t forget my mom. As soon as she found out, she immediately told her boss that she had to be out here for me. She’s an office manager, but somehow she’s been able to run the office 1000 miles away, so that she can be a huge help with the kids in the morning and in the evening, carting them to preschool and soccer, giving baths, chasing them down the sidewalk, etc.

I am so blessed, and God has truly placed such amazing, caring, strong women in my path to help me get through this “interesting” time in my life.


So I am in no way "wonder woman" BUT I am surrounded by MANY "wonder women!"

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you're surrounded by all these caring people. That sounds so great.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

That is what friends are for, to make things a little easier when the tough times hit! You also need to give yourself credit, you are a remarkable woman with great strength!

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ARE truly a wonder woman Cari. Never doubt that one!
(Although I have to admit I have never particularly cared for Wonder Woman's outfit. I did have the Wonderoos as a little one and even then remember thinking that she could have had a much cooler outfit.)
Can't believe that in the midst of everything you sent Z some TERRIFIC new books!! Your note was hilarious- I might have to attach it to the cover when I send one of these in his backpack.
L

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just talking about this last night with my sisters in law about how women are such 'do-ers' about everything, no matter what needs to get done.

Reading your blog has been like looking into your life regularly, so I feel I know you even though you could pass me on the street and never realize who I am. I have prayed for you daily since reading your initial diagnosis, so count me in among the 'Wonder Women of Prayer' at the very least.

 
At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so encouraging and great to know that you have such a wonderful support system out there, since we are so far away from you here in New Jersey & Pennsy and can't easily get to you.

You are loved and are in our prayers continually!

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Jaye,
And yet, I feel your support just the same! Thanks for all the Bible verses. They were greast reminders.

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is NOTHING like your girlfriends....Carla and I have always said that...even when they are miles away.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

Praise God for putting you in the pefect community of neighbors and friends during this time in your life. You are an amazing woman and deserve to be taken care of...

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all love ya, sweetie! And we know you would do the same AND MORE!

Though, I do want to know if all the Wonder Women get to wear the sassy boots? Sara could definitely pull off the look!

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Caro said...

You have lots of wonderful people in your life. And I know they are glad to have you too.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

It's good to hear that you are truly not alone in this! And I hope you recognize that other people's eagerness and willingness to help you, and pray for you is a reflection of the spirit they feel in you. You are a wonderful person and an amazing woman!

Love you much,
Auntie Nita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home