UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Monday, September 10, 2007

My "puppy"

My doctor has all these really great analogies for cancer and dealing with it.

At the hospital, Dr. Sanan said that the cancer is like a puppy that pees all over the house. The dog has to pee, so you give it its area to let it do what it needs to do, and then the rest of the house should be fine. Just like cancer, you have to give it its proper time and place, but you can’t let it take over your whole life. And he said that people will try to tell you to rest and that you shouldn’t be out and about, but that I just have to do what I normally do as long as I feel fine with it.

So today, I gave my cancer its time…in the morning.,,when I was finally able to take a shower for the first time since last Friday (talk about some greasy hair). So I had no choice but to face this ugly cancer…or should I say the after effects of it, by finally taking off the bandages and looking at the ugly scar. And that’s just what it is….ugly. Or I could say gross. Or I could say absolutely disgusting. It actually indents in, is all crooked, and goes up higher than I thought it would. But oh well. Nothing I can do about it. A small price I have to pay for my life…I guess. And in a year, it will all be put back together when Dr. Harrington makes me “pretty” again…at least that’s what she told me. And this porta-cath sticks out a bit like a bone on my right side, just below my neck. It’s gross as well. But again, oh well.

After I gave my “puppy” its “pee spot” I got on with my life. Which today meant shopping! It went from 90 degrees to 60 degrees in a two day period. Ella needed jeans, so Sara drove and we went shopping with the kids. Then I came home, had lunch, took a Vicodan for my discomfort…but mostly to help me sleep…and proceeded to take a 3 hour nap. By the time I woke up, it was time for Cameron to come home from school, dinner, soccer practice, then baths and bed. Not bad for a first full day away from the hospital.

Shopping and sleeping….I think I can handle this.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And to clarify Cari's blog (Mrs. Super Woman) she did NOT go to soccer practice and she did not cook dinner. Dinner is being supplied by wonderful neighbors.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Ann said...

You make me laugh. Be pretty darn strict with the puppy of yours, it needs some pretty tight boundaries.

Glad the weather made it into the post - it has gotten cold. Snow will fly soon (about time a Cdn can tease an American about weather).

Happy you didn't go to soccer practice or cook dinner - you made me tired just reading about adventures.

Take care and keep smiling!

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Jana said...

So glad you are home and adjusting and that everything went so well. Take care of yourself!

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! Someone has a lot of nerve!
Cari (Mrs. Super Woman) has never came out and actually asked anyone for anything while dealing with this cancer...yes she is very thankful for everything that everyone around her has done for her even her Wonderful Neighbors! And she would be the FIRST to tell you that! Give her a couple days..did you forget that she just went through a life changing surgery!? GIVE HER A BREAK!!

And to me she is Mrs. Super Woman! She is dealing with this cancer better than I ever could!

So with that said I hope you can sleep good tonight and that for some reason you feel like a better person!

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

It's good to hear that you are getting on with your normal life. I knew you could do it! You have such spunk, such spirit, such faith. You all are still in my prayers!

Love you much,
Auntie Nita

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

You looked great! Yes, the best thing is to get up and try to move on with your "normal" daily activities! Take care and keep up your great attitude- your strength is admired!
Traci

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari....All I can think of is how much you are like Mom-Mom Zibby...she loved her life and just kept going on (cooking for others, talking on the phone, etc.)...Keep going...and Never stop living. Love, Dana

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Caro said...

I like your doctor's analogy.

I bet that shower felt great.

Shopping sounds good. What did you buy me? :P

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Retail therapy is always wonderful. There's a great article in this month's Runner's World about a breast cancer survivor/marathoner. It's awesome! You're awesome! God is awesome! Enjoy those naps! God bless! Love & hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home