UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Be prepared....the kid or the parent?


I don’t think I knew what I was getting into when I told my son that if he wanted to, then of course he could be a part of Cub Scouts!

To start with, there was A LOT of paper work to fill out. Even Melvin and I had to fill out some forms to tell them how we were going to volunteer for the scouts. I used my “currently dealing with a medical emergency” phrase (what my brother calls pulling the cancer card) to bypass much volunteering.

Then they actually meet at least twice a month, at someone’s house, in the evening…with parents there. Honestly, I thought it was some little gathering after school where the boys learned to tie knots or something. That’s what brownies was like for me!

And then there’s the uniform. Thankfully, my neighbor across the street works for the Scouts and offered to pick up all the clothing requirements that Cameron would need. Again, I thought those shirts were just for special occasions. Didn’t know they had to be worn at every meeting. And then there’s a belt…and all those patches! My neighbor told me that Cameron could get away with going to his first meeting “as is” if I didn’t have time to sew on all the patches. Sew? I don’t even own any needle and thread. I went online to look up where the patches go, and oh my, it’s quite rigid. The pictures show where on the seam they should be placed, how many inches apart, etc. Very military-like! There's even an inspection sheet! I bet I’m going to have to actually iron this shirt as well!

But the good thing is, Cameron’s really exited about this. And Melvin was home today to take him, so I was really excited about them spending some time together. Hopefully this will turn into a regular “daddy” thing.

However, they left a crying Max, who said he was a boy, so he should be able to go to boy scouts, too.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man, i remember boy scouts..er, cub scouts. i too remembered being quite surprised by the uniform inspection. Some head leader dude would walk by and take off points for our belts being crooked, our shirts not lining up with our belts, and having the wrong color pants on or something. that was some crap. eh, i kicked everyone's butts at the running races at day camp anyways.

-s

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

Yes, we did the whole Cub Scouts thing with WEsley for about a year. After juggling kids, Tom's schedule and all the events- NO more. Cameron will have fun though- it sounds like the Cub Scouts up here is much more organized than what we were dealing with! Good luck!

 
At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa - I didn't realize that the Boy/Cub Scouts was so rigid! Just goes to show you - Girl Scouts teaches girls to work smarter, not harder! Hey - you didn't get a sewing badge when you were in G.S.? Maybe they didn't have it by the time you were a scout (showing my age, I guess), but I do remember meeting after school, with just a couple of leaders, both when I was a scout and as a scout leader myself (thanks to your best friend - I only started out helping with the cookie sale and wound up with my own troop)! It was fun, though.

Cant' wait to see more pics of Cameron in his uniform - and when they start camping! Their popcorn is the best - let me know when he starts selling it - I'll definitely buy some from him! :-) YUM!

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember that Christmas when dad wrapped ALL of Scott's patches?? Do you want to do that too?

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zach never had an inspection. They only have asked they tuck in their shirts for the court of honor or if they are doing the flag ceromony. I try not to have his shirt live on the bottom of his closet, but that's about it.

Just an FYI - most of the patches are iron on! Whoo-hoo!!

My monkey has had a lot of fun and just earned his "tenderfoot" rank. (Funny name!!) Trust me, boy scout camp is big-time-crazy-boy fun. They come back completely dirty and exhasted and very proud.

And, yes, there will be knot tying, so be sure Max and Ella don't "volunteer" to help him practice!

I hope Cameron really enjoys it!

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and Melvin should ask at the first meeting if you can duct tape the patches, or at least super glue them. Seriously, sewing is so 20th century.
I though the boy scouts were more "with it" then that!

I'm sure Cameron will have fun... after the uniform inspection, that is.

-gwen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home