UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Kid reactions

Yesterday I tried to explain a little bit to my oldest son Cameron about what was going to be happening with me. He really didn’t seem interested until I told him that I was going to have to take some medicine that would make all my hair fall out. This made him laugh. When I told him my eyebrows would fall out too, he laughed even harder, and asked if my eyelashes would be gone as well. I told him that I didn’t really know, but any hair on my body was going to fall out. He laughed again and then said, “But Mommy, then you won’t be a mammal anymore!”

I assured him that I’d still be a mammal even though I wouldn’t have any hair, however, later on that night at the fair I saw a completely bald lady, and reptile-like is the word that came to mind. Seeing her kind of freaked me out a bit. I really don’t think I could do the bald thing.

Max’s reaction to me telling him about losing my hair was quite the opposite as Cameron’s. He actually screamed, “NO! I don’t want you have no hair!” I told him that it will be okay, and that I could get a wig. “Should I get a pink one or a purple one?” “No!” he laughed. “You have to get a yellow one. Purple would be silly!”

I actually have to be careful with how literal he takes everything. Today I said I needed some medicine because I had a headache, and he looked at me and said, “And then your hair will fall out?” I assured him that this medicine will not do that, and most medicines won’t do that, especially any medicine that he takes.

I don’t know if it’s good or bad that I can’t explain anything to Ella.

Melvin actually stopped at two bookstores and picked up two picture books to read to the kids about cancer. I haven’t looked at them yet, but I thought that was very sweet of him to do this. And when he came home he told me to take a nap, and he cleaned up the kitchen, and he put the kids to bed…now this I could get used to this!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,

I just don't know the right words.....I have been faced with the possibility of 'this COULD be breast cancer', but not with the reality of 'this IS breast cancer'. All that I have to say is you are constantly in my thoughts and in my unending prayers and I will get everyone I know to offer their prayers up to God for you. The power of prayer, love, and support of family and friends is overwhelming!!! You are truly blessed to be surrounded by all three of these things. Too many people love you to allow you to face this alone. Always remember the love and support that is surrounding you and find STRENGTH in that. Thank God everyday for the blessings he has given you and then ask him for ALL of the HELP he can offer. He is always there waiting to hear from us and eager to help us. Take things as they come-one day at a time!!!! Please don't hesitate to call if you need to talk about ANYTHING!!!!!! Lots of love, Michelle Colbert(and family)

 
At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally Cari....I think you should go for the striped look (like a zebra, except purple and pink)...Dana

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Angi said...

I was lucky. I lost the hair on my head, arms/pits, legs, and pubes for the duration of chemo (4 treatments) I didn't have radiation. But I kept my eyebrows and eyelashes. As soon as chemo was down I had fine baby soft hair that grew like 1.4 inch overnight - then I had to shave again (legs and pits that is) My neighbor just got a pool and was telling me how she is having her bikini zone lazered off bare, so she won't have to shave and I thought man am I lucky, cause that is one thing that never grew back completely. Each person is different, and what grows back and how is also different, so here's hoping you never have leg hair again. It would be like 1 great thing to look forward to, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home