UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Rock the Vote!

It started out as an interview, and soon turned into a job. One class a day, English to 7th graders. Just right for me and for my family.

But on Friday I was presented with an option.

My principal referred a principal of another middle school in the district to me. His school also needs an English teacher to teach just one class. It's one the way to my new school. I could teach 5th period at one school, and then 7th period at the next school.

Except it's two different courses...8th English and 7th English.

I initially turned the offer down, because that means preparing for a completely different class. Which means a lot more work. But this weekend I've been battling my decision. And the principal told me to think about it over the weekend and call on Monday if I change my mind.

I'm starting to change my mind.

--I know I'm in a very fortunate situation.

--I don't need the money, so I don't have to take the extra class for financial reasons.
Although I'd like to justify a little more having a nanny. By teaching two classes I would be able to pay for Max's preschool and contribute to our nanny's salary. This actually means something to me.

--But I also feel like I'm being put up on a pedestal. Honestly, my new principal is bragging about me all over the place, when really, she doesn't know anything about me except what's on paper. What if I disappoint?

--This district wants us to use the textbook...the BORING textbook .....80% of the time. I did not realize this when I took the job...because I am NOT a textbook teacher. I use it as a resource, along with many other resources at my disposal, but never as the sole source of information.

--Also, when I turned down the principal, he seemed so disappointed, and I feel bad about this. He's really hoping I change my mind this weekend. That pleasing issue I have...haunts me all the time.

--And working in two schools is somewhat inintriguing to me. They're different demographics, so that in itself would make it interesting to compare how things are run. And then I'd have an "in" at 2 schools, in case I'd like to do more in the future. But then it's also a lot of rushing around to get things in order for each class, and then dealing with meetings and conferences and such for each school.

So what's your vote? Should I take the extra position or drop it? Let your voice be heard!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know we are in considerably different circumstances, but I can't imagine doing much more with my time with just one kid...so I can't even fathom how you'd have time to do more with three. But you'd know better than me.

plus, i'm an anarchist. i don't vote. ;)

-s

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger KC said...

this is a toughie.... BUT, I think I'd take it. It's all in the afternoon - your mornings will still be free. In my district, they say, "You will teach our curriculum 100%," and that doesn't really mean much.

Plus, if you're pressed for time, you CAN fall back on the textbook materials now and then. It won't kill the students.

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just keep all in perspective....the balance of work and family...........and your energy level. Only you can answer that question, along with support of Melvin and prayer! Is it wonderful to have this opportunity!!!

Mom

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some thoughts:
(1) The "in" at two schools is nice for the year after- you could choose one to stay at or the other. Did they ever give any indication whether they would have the same situation of needing 1 class covered the following year, though? It could be a temporary thing as in just this year they have an extra class... In that case, again, having the in at two schools is better just in case one doesn't need you the following year.
(2) On the other hand, I would be VERY cautious about the potential for double meetings. Before you commit, make sure they spell out exactly what you are expected to attend- all dept meetings for example or all full faculty meetings or what?
(3) Finally, what about running the newspaper at one of the schools? If you're teaching two classes, extra-curriculars might be too much to do.
But honestly, Cari, only you can really know how much you can handle and what will work best for you and Melvin and the kiddos. And if you don't think you can justify the time with the nanny- send her out here to us for half the week!!

L

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

Having worked in the schools in Detroit, I know that a teacher's job is very challenging, but if you feel that you have the energy to grade all the class and homework for two different grade levels, not to mention the paperwork involved for funding that teachers have to complete, and dealing with parents from two different demographics, I say go for it! In my opinion, you are a smart and dedicated youngwoman so if you choose to take on this task I am sure you will do well!

Love, Auntie Nita
P.S.: Here's my new e-mail address, write me so I can put your e-mail address on my contact list. anita.barks@hotmail.com

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Ann said...

No help here as I am not a teacher - I would be inclined to do it. The self-satisfaction factor is always high on my list (I am a working mom, when not on mat leave).

I would be concerned with the double dept meetings ... one school seems like a drag.

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger LH said...

i vote yes.
I'm quite adept at complicating life.
It sounds wacky, yet fun.

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would be very interesting for you, esp. if you could use the same books (reading books, that is) for both classes and see how each class interprets them. It would almost be like Crossroads, but just split, hahaha. Also, the busiest people get the most done!

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari-

like scott, i'll decline to vote, let alone rockavote. i just added on more hours myself, and i'll tell you, it leaves me exhausted and guilty feeling as i practically fall asleep on the floor while Auggie crawls all over me! So with three kids... wow, you are a much stronger woman than i!
however, keep it in perspective- if you do agree, and it doesn't work out, you can always make arrangements to leave... if you don't take it, you know you are in good standing to go back to them later and say "hey, do you have any other classes for me to take up?" Nothing is forever... so don't beat yourself up over it- you'll make a fine choice!

-gwen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home