UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Working on Reading

Last week Max's teacher politely told me that she's basically trying to help him initiate playing with other kids. This doesn't surprise me, as Max can be very sensitive. He also has a couple friends that he plays with no problem, but these consist of only girls. I need to get him playing with other boys his age as well.

However, even though I know there are some social issues we need to work on, Max is starting to read, and probably nothing excites me more! We've been using the book How to Teach Your Child to Read in a 100 Easy Lessons. It's the same book I'd used with Cameron. And Max has picked up on it rather quickly. Today he read his first "Bob" Book "Go Bus." That was very exciting to me. I look forward to more reading time with Max. The way I see it, if Max is reading by Kindergarten, then that's one less thing the teacher needs to be responsible for him....especially since now I just read in the paper that class sizes are going to go UP again in his school district.

I'm going to be having more tests done. I'm due for an MRI on Wednesday. I've been having a lot of neck and head pain at night. Also, standing up and down sometimes brings on major lightheadednesss and pain. A couple times I have almost fallen. And then sometimes, I'm completely fine, just need a minute or two to let the pain subside, and then all is back to normal. There's so much about this cancer that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I'm starting to feel like I'm going backwards again as far as mental competence goes. I've been fine, feeling great, and yet these past couple days the anxiety and confusion that I experienced before is starting to come on. I'm also not sleeping well at night. The steroids they make me take has something to do with that....but it's more too. And yet, on better notes, I walked and ran on the treadmill this morning and that felt great.

Psalm 51:12
Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,

So proud of how far you have come and how strong you remain. Your resilience and positivity inspire me each time you post. The cancer doesn't have a hope against someone like you!

Keep hanging tough!

xo Dana in Canada

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari....I love that little Max. He has such an artistic side to him and he is going to make a great husband one day because he is sensitive...Love, Dana

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Max is welcome to come play with Kyle any day. Kyle always says he wants to go to Max's house. I asked him why (thinking it was for the awesome playroom) and he said, "because Max is my best friend."

Great job with the reading Max!

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,
Praying that your pain and anxiety go away again.

So sweet about Max reading--that's exciting! That's why I always loved teaching the early grades. I'm sure he'll be fine socially. He's still so young. Reminds me of my Henry academically & socially!

Take care,
Bernice Adair

 

Post a Comment

<< Home