UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Negative and positive

Considering that school was cancelled in my town today because it was just too cold, I think it's safe to say that despite some of the difficulties of not being at home, I'd rather be back in Florida!

Thank you to all of those who suggested the FastPass option. To let you know, Disney, as well as Universal, offers a free FastPass option for those going through chemo and their family members. They don't seem to advertise it. And the workers look at you like they have no idea what you're talking about. But if you push for it, you'll get up to 6 Fastpasses, which helped my family get on rides faster.


Now me, I couldn't really do the rides, which saddened me a bit. Last time we were in Disney was the first time I was able to enjoy some bigger rides with Cameron. And since I love all things roller coasters and such, it was a lot of fun to experience the thrill with him. But this time, all I could do was walk around the park and watch the little kids enjoy the rides on the days when I had the energy.

On a great note, my best friend Lanette and my sister Dana finished the Disney Marathon, which was the entire purpose of the trip to begin with. I wish I could have joined them as planned, but obviously that was not going to happen. But I'm very proud of them for their accomplishment.


======================================

I went to see another doctor today about a Cyberknife procedure. This kind of procedure would allow the doctor to do very high-tech specific/localized radiation therapy. The surgeon would be able to use the radiation to cut out the cancer from my spine. Sounds great. Except in my case, it would only be used as a very last resort. With me, it's too risky, because of where the tumor in the spine is. I could actually lose several bodily functions and even become paralyzed. So that appointment was disappointing, but at least the doctors were honest and clear in their opinions.
I see my oncologist again tomorrow to figure out what our plan will be for treatment...again. Hopefully whatever options they give me will not only get rid of this cancer, but also the pain that won't seem to leave the back of my head and base of my neck.
---------------------------------
Psalm 138: 2-3
I will worship toward Your holy temple and praise Your name for Your loving-kindness and for your truth and faithfulness; for You have exalted above all else Your name and Your word and You have magnified your word above all Your name! In the day when I called, You answered me; and You strengthened me with the strength in my inner self.



Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger LH said...

I do appreciate when doctors give straight information. Some of them don't do that.
I love Ella's face paint.
We had a 2 hour delay today which didn't make sense to me since it was just as cold two hours later, but ... whatev.... I'll take it!

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger AnnD said...

Thinking of you. You never ever cease to amaze me - despite the challenges that are so obvious, you push to do so much with your family.

Glad it was warm and fun in Florida.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Caro said...

What a great picture of Ella!

If we ever go to Disneyland, we get to do the fastpass thing due to autism. Handy to know since my guy doesn't wait well.

I am glad to hear the cancer isn't in your bones. I hope they eradicate it quickly from your spine and that your pain also goes away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home