UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, December 05, 2008

Up and Down

I didn't get "zapped" during physical therapy. And I have some really great physical and occupational therapists that I see. They did some testing, and none of it surprised me with my mental functioning. Had trouble with numbers, patterns, memory.

Everyday I can lift my arm a little bit higher.

I could feel warmth in my left toes this evening (before they just felt freezing numb).

I just realized that the right side of my tongue isn't as numb anymore either.

My brain continues to not work correctly....I think it's a lot of constant memory loss. It could be from radiation, could be from surgery, could be from anxiety. I'm glad I'm getting some physical abilities back, but I do pray more of my mental functioning comes back as well. It's especially frustrating when as a teacher, you can't even help your kids very well with their homework. Or even have what I'd consider a normal conversation with friends.

But again, I'm alive. And tomorrow I get to celebrate Ella's birthday with her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Luke 1:37 KJV) For with God nothing shall be impossible.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

We missed you today at spa! Our prayers were about healing for you and praise for the improvements you are experiencing. The boys and I can't wait for Ella's party. My prayer is that you are feeling better this evening.

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari, My best friend had a bone marrow transplant and she hated that sometimes she couldn't find words when she was trying to speak. She would refer to it as "Chemo Brain", so 5 years later when we have a senior moment we all still say I am just having chemo brain, so be patient it does get better. Lori (Dana's friend)

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger C said...

So happy to hear about the progress you are making; how wonderful! Sending many prayers for continued strength and patience as you experience even more physical, emotional and mental improvements...and, of course, Happy Birthday Ella!

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

I'm so glad to hear about the improvements.
Praying for continued healing and function- both physical and mental.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger AnnD said...

Happy birthday Ella - hope you all have a fun day celebrating.

Kuddos for all the improvements and always the enthusiasm - trust me, you always come across with a glass half full attitude. Awesome stuff.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger KC said...

It's a good thing you had so much brain power to begin with, Cari! ;) You still sound perfectly smart and together to me.

So glad there's good progress!!

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger simplifying the smocks said...

Hooray for you and prayers being answered! It is a joy to hear of your arm mobility and decreased numbness. Let the prayers continue for full restoration of your health! Peace to you.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Jodi Cheung said...

Hi, Cari -
This is Jodi, Budd and Kathy Brandon's daughter. They gave me your blog address and I've been reading for a while now. Just wanted to let you know I am cheering you on in south Jersey. I told my dad to tell your dad if he ever needs anything to just holler -- I live in between the water company in Voorhees and Ocean City. Would be happy to help any way I can. Sending you happy and healthy thoughts for a warm holiday season with your beautiful family! :)
Cheers,
Jodi

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Caro said...

Oh hooray. I'm so glad the numbness is dissipating.

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Karen said...

I enjjoyed reading your post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home