UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

A day of Thanks



I was very worried about how this Thanksgiving was going to turn out, because these past few days have been very difficult for me in all sorts of ways. But through every one's help and prayers, I feel pretty good about how things turned out.

Here was the menu my mom, dad and I were somehow able to put together. Turkey (we cheated....ordered one from a local restaurant...but it was good) gravy, spicy green beans, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, black eyed peas, macaroni and cheese, stuffing, creamed onions, sauteed mushrooms, crescent rolls, cranberry sauce, and apple Waldorf salad. My mom did most of the cooking of course.

And then we have some desserts of course. A chocolate tart, peach cake, pecan pie, pumpkin pie and ice cream.

Along with my mom and dad, my godson Carlos, who goes to school in Minneapolis, had dinner with us as well. Although it of course wasn't our usual Thanksgiving travel circumstances (we usually travel over Thanksgiving and this year we were supposed to be in Atlanta), it was nice to still have family around.

My husband also printed out a Thanksgiving story for Cameron to read to us at dinner time. Max was asleep as we sat down to dinner, but I managed to eventually shake him awake. And Ella, well, she wanted nothing to do with eating. I think she had a bite of a roll, and then just went in the family room and played. We all wanted to just eat in peace, so we just let her play...that little munchkin!

I just want to once again thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for all their prayers and help through all this. You are all amazing.


“Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good. For His lovingkindness is everlasting.” 1 Chronicles 16:34






Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger jkhenson said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Thankful you've had an ok day! Thinking of you, and thankful to hear a smile in your "voice" at least in parts of the posting.

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow,you had quite the feast!
I'm hungry just reading about all
that yumminess:)

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari - Wishing words could help you...but know that every time I read your blog I am beyond inspired by your honesty and hope and thankfullness. You obviously have a spirit of courage and strength that goes beyond my wildest hopes for myself. So this Thanksgiving - I thank you for giving me perspective and gratitude. Happy Thankful Day - Julia (Dana's friend in Chicago)

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger C said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home