UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Baby steps....sorta

When you're used to being "very" right-handed, and you lose your ability to use your right arm, it's hard. My husband kept telling me to try to use it so that I wouldn't lose anymore function. I was to lift my right arm with my left to do things. Or struggle really hard to do something like wipe the counter with my right hand. This involved all sorts of awkward, uncomfortable movements. Eventually, I naturally just started using my left arm to do things..I couldn't help it.

But praise God, now I'm starting to gain some of my right arm function. It's VERY slight, but it's an improvement. I didn't notice it at first, because of memory issues and because I'm not even close to being back to my normal function with movement, but I can now start to lift my arm with extreme effort. I can tie my kids' shoes, and put on my own jacket. I don't know if it's radiation shrinking the tumor that's causing the nerve problems or what, but I'm grateful for any improvement right now. I go to a new physical therapy place tomorrow. We'll see what they recommend.

I also have a cookie decorating party with Max and Ella in the morning, then my physical therapy appointment downtown, then a radiation appointment, and lastly an appointment with a counselor. Rather busy I'll be. I get very anxious still when it comes to times and schedules, so I pray I don't get overwhelmed by it all. I've been trying to write out schedules with exact times for everything....as specific as the exact time I need to get in the car to be someplace. And I'll have to ask my mom about 5 times for each place/trip about where and when I'm supposed to be....and that memory thing keeps messing me up. But in the end, we (my mom) manages it all and we get to where we need to be and do what we need to do.

Two terms I find humorous about my day tomorrow. One is that at physical therapy, my husband wants to see if they'll do electrical stimulation to the nerves. And secondly, the counselor I'm to see tomorrow has the title of a Psychotherapist. I'm having flashbacks of the book/movie I read in high school One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Scary!!!!


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Blogger cg said...

aaah I am very happy to read about your baby steps ;-) so glad you regaining some of your abilities. And all the best on your very busy day in your cuckoo's nest ;-))

 
At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful baby steps! Your support system is so strong, it's no wonder you are making improvements. I pray for you every day.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Jaye said...

Every step is another step toward complete healing! I'm thankful to hear of your progress, no matter how "slight"!

We continue to pray for you, but I'll put in extra prayers that you don't have a "Nurse Ratchett" at your cuckoo's nest! LOL!

Love & hugs!

 
At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for Baby Steps! Nice job!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger AnnD said...

Baby steps are good.

Curious - do they know why the loss of function of your right arm? Is it the tumor or the brain surgery?

Been doing a lot of research (not likely at all required - so just personally obsessing) about my hearing issues and some of the conditions - brain surgery for benign tumors causes all kinds of havoc with balance and facial/eye issues. It seems to recover for most in 6-10 weeks post-op.

Obviously completely different ball game - but curious, as you get more and more mobility back.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger mi said...

Yea for any improvement! Hopefully, this encouragement will bolster you on those tougher days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home