Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Three Hour Tour

I thought that when I stopped taking the Xeloda I'd feel better and more energized. Instead I feel the opposite....more tired and in more pain. My head and back have been hurting more, and I need to keep popping Tylenol every few hours. Not sure what that's all about, but I see my oncologist on Friday, and hopefully we'll get some answers then.

Yesterday was quite the interesting day, reminding me how kind people continue to be. Because I lost my keys when I was at McDonald's with my good friend Andrea and our kids, she ended up having to take me on a "3 hour tour" of the Twin Cities in her car. We happened to be driving as a snowstorm was starting and then eventually during rush hour. This combination, along with a few missed turns and the fact that to get my spare keys we had to go to one side of the cities to the other and back, was just insane! We were in the car with 5 kids, and yet they were actually quite good, considering the circumstances of my own 3 hour mistake.

When we were at McDonald's there was a lady there with a couple kids who offered to drive me anywhere, or bring me carseats or help out in anyway. We managed without her help, but I certainly appreciated the offer. There were workers who helped me look through the trash and checked the dumpster as well. Unfortunately, no keys appeared.

But the next day, I received a phone call from CVS. Apparently someone had found my keys, saw my CVS key card and the drug store was able to get my phone number. They called me and gave me the number of the man who had my keys. He worked at the Sprint store near the McDonalds. He told me that he found them on his windshield. Obviously, I dropped them in the parking lot...as it was snowing...and someone must have stumbled on them and put them on the windshield. Thankfully he didn't just toss them aside, and took the time to find out who they belonged to. That was so kind of him.

It turned out to be a very long and crazy day. My mom's flight was delayed, so we just stayed on the west side of town waiting for her plane to come in. I took the 3 kids to Chuck E. Cheese, and as soon as we got there, Ella wet her pants. We had to trek back out into the snow and below zero temps to find a place to buy her new clothes. And then trying to leave the rodent pizza place for a 2nd time was a disaster with Ella not wanting to leave, and me not being able to pick her up. But eventually we made it out, arrived at the airport just in time to pick up my mom, and made it home for the kids bedtime.

What a day. But without the help of my friend and a few strangers, it would have been disastrous!

When the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior ... Titus 3:4-6

Labels: , ,


At 9:37 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

I can't believe how your keys were found. People really were very kind and helpful. Especially the man who found them.
The next time we're in the car for three hours together let's make sure we're heading out of town for a weekend getaway...without kids...and not in the middle of a snowstorm!

At 9:27 PM, Blogger AnnD said...

Well, at least it was memorable.

In general, people are kind and thoughtful - glad you witness it first hand this holiday season.

At 9:58 AM, Blogger JJ said...

People are good. We all need to remember that sometimes it's a total stranger who makes our day. God bless them. Cari, you are a stranger but I think of you and pray for you often.


Post a Comment

<< Home