UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Warmth

Good news. As far as the MRI's have been read, the radiation has worked on my brain. That means that there should not be cancer in my head right now! Hallelujah! Again, who knows if I'm remembering/reading things right....but overall it's good news. YEAH!

Now the cancer is still in my spine. The new plan is to stop the "direct chemo injection into my brain chemo" right now until we need to start it up again (which should be no big deal with the Ommaya drip already in place from last surgery). We'll continue with the pill form of the Xeloda, which is the "everyday twice a day chemo" and we'll start the spine radiation next Monday. I visit with good Dr Vic on Thursday to discuss the daily radiation plan. Good thing I really like my radiation therapsts. Except it is kind of embarassing seeing all of them when I'm not so lucid and appear quite confused half the time. That's not the way I used to be. I'm hoping that the change of treatment will ease up on my stupidity!

Painwise was better today as well. The night was bad, but with a few adjustments throughout the day, I think we finally might have it under control. I've had a lot of people/friends/strangers suggest different options for pain, but it's really something I have to work on directly with my doctors. Believe it or not, it's the pain that is helping tell whether the different chemos are working or not. It might not make sense, but if we start throwing something else into the mix now, we have too much more to sift through...which could be better, or it could be worse. So I think we're just going to work with the plan that we have right now, and pray on it until we hear/feel otherwise. I thank you everyone dearly for your concern and suggestions.


Just wanted to let you know that depending on my arm/shoulder pain / numbness, my posts mights be shorter....as true also with my individual messages. I can wiggle my fingers in my right hand, but I can't independently lift up my right arm. I'm right handed....so this really is humbling . We're hoping the new radiation will help with this. But if not.....and I'll get through it.


Thank you everyone for increased understanding and patience. I'm going to end here while all still feels good....and with a couple pics.
The first pic is from my "Finally Fiesta" a couple years ago. When I had finally earned my Masters Degree in English Curriculum and Instruction at the University of Minnesota. The next pic is just a reminder of WARMER DAYS as we begin to tackle this frozen weather. Okay, this was in the Bahamas...so maybe that's cheating....but I could use a little warm pick-me-up. Psalm 150
1 Praise the LORD.
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens.
2 Praise him for his acts of power;
praise him for his surpassing greatness.
3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,
4 praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute,
5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.
6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great news. Be encouraged. I am sure that even better news is on the way.
Roz

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger cg said...

yeahhh so glad your brain is cancer free ;-) Keep us posted as you can on your progress and even if we dont hear from you, we still love you
xxx

 
At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,
I'm so happy that you received good news. I'm praying that each day will bring you more and more good news.

 
At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari, Please use your good moments to concentrate on your healing and your family. We, out here in internet land should not take your time and concentratiion. We all pray for you everyday, just know that is true. I understand what you are saying about pain being a guide to what is going on in your body. Be kind to yourself. LouAnn

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

Great news Cari! Always praying for you! Let me know when you are having a good day...Maybe Felicity and Ella can play together and we could talk.

Also, the wreath your family sent is beautiful and very thoughtful through these rough times we were so quickly faced with. You are truly amazing to still think of others while you, yourself and family, are going through so much! Love- T

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger jkhenson said...

Wonderful news! Step in the right direction! Prayers are still coming. Keep smiling, thinking positively and receiving the love. :)

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger simplifying the smocks said...

Hooray! What wonderful news. We continue to pray for you and your family and rejoice with you taht your brain is again healthy!

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

REJOICE!!! How wonderful for you and your family Cari! Love the pictures. I'm sure you need warm thoughts during Midwestern winters. Continued prayers for your complete healing.
Love,
Bernice Adair

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!! Don't worry about your blogs or messages...just worry about you! PERMISSION to just be...julia - dana's friend!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger mi said...

Cari,
What great news and comfort to know that your chemo is working!! I'm also always glad to read when your pain management is also effective, as the pain must really wear you down. Those pics are beautiful, and I hope you have a nice fire going on those chilly MN evenings to remind you of those warmer times.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

AMEN!!!!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger wiferhood said...

Let everything that has breath, PRAISE THE LORD!

We are shouting the victory with you! We love you :~D

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Beth said...

I'm so happy to hear the great news Cari! We think of you and your family every day and are sending prayers your way.
Beth and Bill Stratton

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Annie said...

My dear Cari...

I left a message on your husbands cell phone the other day, but truth be told, we both know you probably didn't get it! :) I just wanted to let you know that I've been thinking about you and the rest of the "fam" every single day, and how I wish I could be up in MN still to help make things easier (... and in Melvin's case, more organized....). I've been searching for plane tickets to fly up for the benefit, but apparently the airlines weren't informed and they aren't being very "friendly". I'm going to have Kristina (my twin sister) go in my honor, but i wanted to let you know that i will be with you all in spirit. Love you all!

Love,
Andrea Lundgren (Sommer)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home