UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Bits and pieces of info

I am feeling MUCH better today. I just decided that I'm going to have to stay on top of my pain medication. That every 4 to 5 hours I'm going to have to take a high dose of Vicodin. I don't want to do this, but even when I drop it a little, I start to have a lot of pain. So until my guests go away, I'm going to keep to this pain medication regiment. Or else I'll just be lying in tears all day, worthless.

Tomorrow, I start a 2nd chemo, called Xeloda. This is a pill I take by mouth. I have to read up on all the side effects and how often I take it, but I THINK it's a daily pill. Obviously I'll make sure I know tomorrow when it's delivered. Here's what's most ironic about this kind of chemo....I won't lose my hair! Except I've already lost my hair from radiation, AND I'll lose my hair from the other chemo...so it doesn't matter!

My Canadian friend Dana set me up with a link to http://www.4women.com/, which has some pricey...but worth it....scarves. They just plop so nicely on your head, are comfortable, and very cute. She used them when she was going through chemo, and I'm definitely going to get at least one more. I do believe that this was the kind Lynette used for her character in Desperate Housewives last year. If you know of someone else losing her hair, this would be a good gift for her.

My sister and 17 year old niece arrived today from New Jersey. It's so nice to be with them, but I hope my kids don't drive them bonkers! They're hoping to go see Madagascar 2 this weekend. Goodness, my kids are having so much fun, they're going to be quite mad when I get healed!

I also have some friends visiting from Utah. I was supposed to be out there visiting THEM much sooner than now, so I feel bad that they're making the trip out here. But it will be great seeing our kids playing together. My friends are so smart, I hope my newfound chemo/brain/radiation fogginess doesn't throw them off too much. A very small price to pay for my healing, but one that I do think about.

Next week I'll have more friends and family to see with the Benefit for the Angel Network.

And on a final note, I have to type that Cameron finished his first Harry Potter book. Now I have a lot of hesitation in writing this. Because I can tell you that he read the words on the page. Did he comprehend it....very little. But that's okay right now. He was SO EXCITED to read it, he was up late trying to sneak in reading by the aquarium light, and he read at every spare moment on the bus, in school, etc, that at this point I don't really care much that he didn't get most of it. He did understand some of it, and after tried to talk with him about it yesterday, (while I was lying flat in bed) he picked up more information to help him comprehend. He's now excited that he finished because I told him last year he had to read each book before I'd let him watch each movie. But I do think that he's extra excited because he finished the book, and he knew that's important to me! I am proud of him.

----------------------------------------------
Isaiah 41: 8-10, 14-16
But you, O Israel, my servant,
Jacob, whom I have chosen,
you descendents of Abraham my friend,
I took you from the ends of the earth,
From its farthest corners I called you.
I said, "You are my servant:"
I have chosen you and I have not rejected you.
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand...

...Do not be afraid, O worm Jacob,
O little Israel,
for I myself will help you," declares the Lord
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.
"See I will make you into a threshing sledge,
new and sharp, with many teeth.
You will thresh the mountains and crush them
and reduce the hills to chaff.
You will winnow them, the wind will pick them up,
and a gale will blow them away.
But you will rejoice in the Lord
and glory in the Holy One of Israel.

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

So glad you had a better day. Enjoy your time with your sister and friends this weekend!

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger TonyD said...

Glad to hear you had a better day. Some useful parenting advice in there. You made me chuckle a few times. Talk to you soon!

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

As I was standing in line waiting to see the first Harry Potter movie, I asked a couple of the Moms if their children had read the book. Most said "No." I thought to myself, "Those Moms should make reading the book a prerequisite to seeing the movie."

I gues great minds think alike!

Focus on the good things.

Connie Milstein's mother-in-law

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari, it's nice you are feeling a little better. Yes, keep the pills up and stick to the schedule. It is so much harder to beat the pain back down once it is there. Keeping it at bay with the meds is the way to go. Praying for you. LouAnn

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari, this is Marta from Xroads. I am so glad that you are having a better day today. I just recently learned about your struggles, and I say a prayer each and every day for you and your family.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Caro said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Caro said...

Congratulations to Cameron on finishing HP. My nine-year old hasn't tackled that one yet!

Thank you for the scarf link. I may need it soon for somebody I love.

Yes, keep on top of those pain pills. My MIL has rheumatoid arthritis and she told me it is much easier to keep on top of it then to try to stop it once it has started. I'm glad the pills are helping and you are feeling better.

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,
That's great that you are feeling a bit better. I know that pain meds are no fun, but they do serve a purpose.
Kudos to Cameron! He reminds me of my Henry (8). We've had to really come down on him for sneaking more reading in late at night (by his aquarium light also!). Otherwise, I'm not really sure he'd ever go to sleep!
Enjoy your visitors. Try not to get too worn out!
Bernice Adair

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger mi said...

So glad you are having a better day. I love that Cameron read the whole book!! That is truly impressive.

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy picking out a scarf! I like "pretty in pink" under that sale section. You deserve one! :)
My confirmation verse was from Lamentations. I forget the exact reference, but it is "because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed. His compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, therefor I will wait for him."

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari, reading about Cameron reminded me of Richard constantly walking around with each Harry Potter Book. He wouldn't sleep until he finished or I took the book away. Sounds like Cameron is from the same mold.
Glad you're feeling better today.
Love & prayers!

 
At 3:40 AM, Blogger cg said...

Good job Cameron! You must be one proud momma ;-) I am so glad to read that you are feeling a bit better. Ihope you have a truly blessed weekend with all your friends and family

 

Post a Comment

<< Home