UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Wrong choice

I’m quite crabby right now. Mainly because every time I talk, my tongue rubbing against my teeth and mouth is causing pain.

One of the side effects of the AC chemo is mouth sores. I haven’t really had them, but this round I do, and I blame myself.

I’ve read that if you eat ice while they administer the Adriamycin, then somehow that lessens the emergence of the mouth sores. Some nurses automatically hand me a cup of ice before they start to inject the red venom, but others say that there’s no proof that the ice really works.

So I guess I decided to do my own little experiment. Because during this visit, my husband dropped me off some coffee…okay, not just any coffee, but a Caribou Caramel Highrise.

Just thinking about eating the ice was making me nauseous...and I’m not a fan of cold coffee. So I did the opposite of the ice theory and sipped my very hot coffee drink, which tasted soooo good!

But now I’m paying for it.

My husband told me to put Ambesol on the sores…but that would mean on my whole tongue. Ever taste that stuff? And then to have my entire tongue numb? I think I’ll pass and just remain crabby.

So the results of my little unscientific experient: to all you AC chemo patients…eat the ice.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess wine won't help? Praying for you continually - God will get you through this, too!

Love & hugs,
Jaye

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Sorry to hear you're miserable. I know I get crabby from one little canker sore.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Oh yuck - I still think the coffee sounds good. Couldn't the ice also help with nausea (hot and nauseated is a horrible combo).

Maybe there is no proof in the ice - if so, that coffee sound delectable!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Would pro-biotics help? Get some acidolphus pills if hubby says it's okay.

Good luck.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger mi said...

Wow, that does suck. You have every right to be crabby!! At least now you can say from first hand experience to eat the ice! Does rinsing w/ warm salt water help? It's a remedy I've used in the past for a little relief.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home