UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Say Cheese...please!

Last week I wrote about my kids’ portraits that I scheduled for this Tuesday. I know some of you were wondering how they went.

Well, let me start with Monday. I spent most of that day going from store to store, looking for the perfect clothes and accessories for the photos. The kids were going to wear 2 outfits, one would be for very formal photos, wearing the clothes I bought them for my mother-in-law’s wedding. The other photo would be casual Christmasy ones to send out with our cards. My shopping adventure was mainly for red turtlenecks and elf hats. Seems like simple items to obtain, right? Wrong. I went to Gymboree, two Party Americas, Walmart, JCPenny, Sam’s Club and Dollar Tree. I finally found the boys’ shirts that I needed at Kohls, and Elf hats at Party Card Outlet; plus I picked up some deer antlers and candy cane head bands as well…more to chose from. My last stop of the day was to be at the cleaners, to pick up the kids’ outfits from the wedding.

However, as I was shopping, my husband had called to see how I was feeling, because I physically had a bad morning the day before. I told him that I was fine, and I was about to pick up the dry cleaning. He then told me that I couldn’t do that because it was all still sitting in his car. He never brought it to the cleaners the prior week….he was busy. He claimed I never told him that I needed the stuff, however, he also has told me on numerous occasions that he only listens to about half of what I tell him. And believe me, I had been talking about these pictures and the clothes ever since I made the appointment.

Needless to say, I was not happy. Quite pissed actually, but at this point, there really was nothing I could do, and no reason to stay angry. I went to two local dry cleaners and the best they could do for me was have the clothes back the next day (Tuesday), sometime AFTER 5:00. The portraits were at 5:30, and with a half hour drive, there was no guarantee I’d have the clothes.

I had no choice but to call and reschedule…for Wednesday.

But the drama doesn’t end there.

The next evening (Tuesday) I went to the dry cleaners to pick up the kids’ clothes. They only had Ella’s dress. They wrote the wrong day for the boys’ suit jackets to be delivered. But they promised me they’d be there the next day before noon (and free of charge).

But the drama doesn’t end there.

The next day (the day of the portraits), just before picking up the boys’ suit jackets, I was getting Ella’s outfits together. I took the dress out of the dry cleaning bag only to discover “water” like stains on the front of the dress, and an orange tag explaining that all attempts at removing the stain had failed. Ugh! I only had an hour before I had to be at Cameron’s school to volunteer, and I had no energy to go from store to store looking for a blue dress! As much as I hated doing it, I went to Macy’s in search of the exact same dress, and thankfully they still had two left in her size.

Completely exhausted, I , along with Sara and my mom, dressed the kids in what Max called their “handsome clothes,” and we headed off for pictures.

I took a few photos myself right before we left, just in case the professional photo session was a total bust.

They obviously weren't cooperating for me, so I was a bit worried about what was to come.

Fortunately, with many punishment threats and bribes put in place, our session at Flash! Digital Portraits went fairly well. Cameron and Max were fabulous. As I figured, Ella was the challenge. Sara and the photographer would work at getting them set up, and my mom and I were in the back trying to get Ella to look at the camera and not down or at her brothers. She did fairly well with the formal photos.

But by the time they switched outfits, she was just done, and only interested in the mall’s merry-go-round that she could see through the studio’s window. We couldn't even coax her to stay in the store, let alone stand in the line of the camera.

But if you recall, my only request was to get one shot of all them looking at the camera, smiling. And I got more than one. So I’m happy. Tired. And glad it’s all done.

You can actually see the photos here.
Click “Go to my portraits”
Then type in my last name and the password “Cameron”

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy crap. that photo better be your xmas card photo!!

-scott

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Oh my gosh!! So cute...you got SO many good ones. You have to be proud. Loved Ella's dress, too.

 
At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari-
Those pictures are incredible! I can't believe how many you have of all 3 smiling. I am VERY impressed. We took Z to get some in his tux from his aunt's wedding and he's not smiling in any of them, nor did he smile in his "school" picture (although they did that during the school day and we weren't there so I wasn't expecting anything- at 16 months I'm just glad he's not crying in it), nor did he smile for our family photos last June- although that was partly because it was bed time and he wanted to go home.
You should be a very proud mama- your kids are so adorable!
L

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari -
All of them were just great! Your children are so very beautiful - the boys look like they were posing for GQ, Jr. magazine! LOL! Ella was so precious in her dress and the antlers were great, too! You should be very happy with all of those pictures! They started MY morning off right! Thanks for sharing!
Love & hugs,
Jaye

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

It has to be the age (Ella). Felicity was done before we even got her sitting for one picture! She would get up and RUN out the door! i will take a look at the pictures! I am really bummed because we spent over $400 on our pictures from Flash this year and never got web information so that people could view them! I will have to call them today and see if they can still put it up on the web!

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Ann said...

I forgot your last name (I will find it again ... know I have seen it somewhere along here!). I would love to see them as I think the task of taking a picture way too momentus for any sane individual.

Glad all finally worked out.

 
At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Kids...Great Pics.
Thanks for sharing

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

I am so glad you put the portraits on the blog! They are gorgeous! One question though. How come you and Max (Melvin) never take a Christmas photo with the kids? Can't wait to see which one you choose for the Christmas card! I like them all!

Love you much,
Auntie Nita

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger wiferhood said...

Oh my gosh, the photos are so cute. And that one with Little Max standing with his hands in his pockets--he is definitely going to be a heart breaker.

You are really going to have a hard time choosing one for the Christmas Card. Too cute!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

Dang! What a "HANDSOME" and adorable family you have. We had a great time hanging out with you, Max & Ella today. Thanks for getting my out of the house.
You're a true friend.

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They turned out really, really well!!! Very cute. Good job, Cari. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home