UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Is this the one?

First I'd like to start off this post by stating that I realize how blessed I am. I am so fortunate to be in this situation, and for that I thank my husband for all his hard work.

I've made it quite clear to several people that I'm not a great stay-at-home mom. As a matter of fact, I try to get out of the house as much as possible. My kids pretty much expect us to go somewhere, or do something fun almost every day. The more we hang around the house (unless we're watching movies) the crazier and messier everything seems to get. And my patience wears tissue-paper thin.

Now, I have an amazing nanny, and I've finished all my Master's work, so lately, I've just been bored. And the decision of what to do next year has been on my mind all the time...stressing me out actually. Yes, as I stated in the beginning, I understand how fortunate I am to be in this situation, where I have choices and finanacially it doesn't matter what I do. I wrote in a previous post about my options after I graduated, and at the time I was leaning toward starting a consulting business where I would work with teachers..probably in charter schools. And this is what my husband thought would be wonderful. And my best friend out East was all interested in how I was going to do this and such. And at first I thought this would be great, but as the reality of this set in, I didn't really feel the passion for it. It got to the point where I found myself planning it out because I knew my husband was excited about it....but I wasn't anymore. Because honestly, I have this strong desire to work with adolescents...not just teachers. This is where I excel. It's in inspiring these kids to read, or write, or just do something, anything, that really gets me going and is exciting to me. That's where my true passion and calling lies.

So I started asking God to help me figure out what to do. And I told God that it would be really great if he'd just whomp me over the head with the opportunity that he wants me to take...because I have all sorts of different things I can look into, but I just don't know what exactly I should persue and put my energy into. In all honesty, I really just want a very part-time middle school position, where I can use my knowledge and passion to connect with kids.....BUT I don't want it to be such a time and energy committment that I can't enjoy the time I have with my own kids...AND I want it to be fairly close by. That's a HUGE request, because rarely are there part-time middle school positions as a Language Arts teacher.


But today, for some reason, when Sara had the kids and I was supposed to be making all sorts of doctors/dentist appointments and going through the paperwork piled up on my desk, I decided to just look into the employment link of a nearby school district.

And wouldn't you know, I came across a .2 FTE (that's like maybe 2 classes) Language Arts middle school position. Although I really don't know anything about the job, it fits all the logistical requirements I listed above.

So I immediately kicked myself in the butt and started creating an updated resume, a letter of inquiry, requesting letters of recommendation, completing an online application and e-mailing the principal of the school directly.

I'm not sure what, if anything, will come of all this. But please pray that if it's God's will, that I get an interview for this position. Because right now, I really do want it!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger wiferhood said...

I know how you feel Cari. I will pray especially hard for you because you know I am going stir crazy sitting in the house.

I also know the excitement of coming across a job posting that is identical to your desires. Please let me know how it turns out.

Yes, you have the financial stability of not working but teaching is your passion. It's who you are and you are great at it. If being in the classroom is what you desire, God will see that you have the desires of your heart. That will not require the scarifice of your family.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger KC said...

good luck, Cari! This sounds like a great opportunity. At my school, a .2 would be one class, every day. At my previous middle school, where I taught on the block, it would be one 85-minute class, every-other day.

Whatever it turns out to be, I hope it's meant to be for you! :)

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari-
Emailed you on Yahoo- email me back there or call. I can always just send an electronic copy if you need it quicker.
Where I taught in MN .2 would be the same as KC said- 1 class or 1 block every other day. I prefer blocks myself and bet that would work better for your needs too.
So exciting!
L

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Melly said...

I loved being home, but I missed teaching so much! I feel like teaching is my true calling too. I really feel God put me on this earth to teach. Now that I'm back in the classroom, I'm thankful for the chance I had to be home, but I am soooo glad to be back to work.

You're doing the right thing, asking the Lord to open the door He wants you to walk through.

Keep us updated!

 
At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is so cool when He answers our specific requests. If it's right, everything will fit, and work out. If it's not, then the door will shut. Praying for and with you about this - can't wait to hear how it turns out! How exciting!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Caro said...

It sounds like fate. I hope you get it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home