UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Quick Visit

Well, we survived the plane ride to New Jersey. Thankfully, Ella managed to save the diarrhea gushing down her leg for the car rental waiting room.

Except for the fact that my kids don’t understand the concept of sleeping in on vacation, we’re having a wonderful and incredibly busy trip.

Yesterday I met up with one of my friends who lives out west now, but is in New York City for a couple weeks. She, her husband and son drove down to experience the “Jersey Shore.” When you grow up in the Midwest, you just don’t get the concept of the shore until you’re actually here. We went to the beach while the kids played in the water and sand, and we visited an Ocean City institution…Mack & Manco pizza, where the place was so packed with loud families, my own rambunctious children fit right in. We were able to walk briefly on the boards and glance at the rides before they had to head back north to return the rental car.

The most interesting part was watching their little son, who is just a few months younger than Ella. Being around my kids before and knowing how they behave, my friend always says that she had one of my children. But this idea did not register properly until I actually saw him in action. Seriously, he fit right in with my kiddos. Not sitting for dinner, walking around getting into everything, throwing a tantrum because he wanted the ice cream in the cone, not in a cup, walking his way down the boards and insisting we follow him instead of heading in the direction we needed to go. My friend said that she enjoyed being around us because she didn’t feel like she had to apologize for her son’s behavior!

The visit was so short, but it was wonderful having them here. I think vacationing with great friends, no matter how short the time may be, is just fabulous! Can’t wait to visit them sometime soon.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you spelled mack and manco's wrong...and the sign is in the photo!

mama g, august, and i made it home just fine, but we were on the runway with 45 (!) other planes waiting to take off, for probably an extra hour. oh, and did i mention the ground power wasn't working on the plane so that we had no air conditioning? august mostly kept his cool, but we were on the verge of breakdown right when the plane took off. awesome.

-s

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can certainly tell that's Tired and Crabby Zev in those pictures! It was SO great to see you and let's definitely try for an Ashford-Liang vacation soon.

You missed the other half of my little guy being like yours- he's also amazingly sweet and cuddly, very active, full of laughs, determined and independent (but in a good way too), and (I think!) pretty smart- just like your three.
I was a bit embarrassed by his meltdown but the real reason I didn't feel like I had to apologize a ton is because (a) you're such a good friend and love us despite our faults, (b)I know that you don't think I'm a horrible parent because you have "passionate" children too, and (c) you were with us all day so you realized he's not always like that! He's actually pretty good-humored most of the time.

Thanks again for having us out. Hope the shades aren't bent....

Love, L

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Oh yes, L. He is also sweet as can be, and he was so cute on the beach hanging out in the water.

There is absolutely no need to be embarassed around me...especially with my kids. I was amazed by how patient you were with him. Reminds me of how I used to be. I gotta develop more of that!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Undomestic said...

S
What are you talking about? It's spelled correctly!

Glad you guys made it home okay. Am I still forbidden to post a picture of Auggie? What about you and Gwen?

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you totally just edited that. it did say mac and manco's

 
At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even believe how much your friend looks like my cousins wife...the hair, high forehead, smile....everything!

For a minute when I opened the post, I wildly looked around for my cousin, wondering.....wondering. The resemblance is amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home