UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

What a vacation

My husband often talks about getting a cabin. Because out here in Minnesota, everyone has a cabin…usually on or close to a lake. I wouldn’t actually know because no one actually invites you to their cabin. They just like to talk about when they go “to the cabin.” But to me, a cabin means a lake (dirty), fishing (boring) , boating (too difficult with younger ones), woods (mosquitoes) and a lot of work (packing, cooking, etc). I see myself cooped up in an old place, trying to entertain my kids who need to be at home with their toys, friends, and places to go.

Now me, I’m all about the “shore house.” Because at the shore in Ocean City, New Jersey, where I’ve been almost every year since I was a baby, we can:

Run on the boardwalk
Build sand castles


Boogie board in the ocean or just jump the waves


Go miniature golfing on several different courses
Go on fun amusement rides



Eat ice cream every night…watching the model trains at the ice cream store.
Get Tattoos (the airbrush kind)
Catch crabs (and buy more blue claws to supplement everyone’s appetites)

Hang out with family and friends






Ride bikes




Go for pony rides



People watch on the boards or from our front deck
Listen to polka bands walking down the street


Have our faces painted


Get free balloon sculptures
Hang out with characters


Yeah, there’s still the packing and some cooking…but with great shops, yummy food and lots of entertainment, the shore house beats the cabin…no competition.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger wiferhood said...

Three sleeping kids = Happy Silence. That is my kind of vacation. HA!

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari....I TOTALLY agree!!

Miss you already!!

Love you, Dana

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Jumper 2.0 said...

I really miss the Ocean.

Angela just doesn't understand. I am pretty sure that she thinks Minnesota is in the center of the universe! I mean it, I once saw some drawings of hers that was pre-Copernicus in nature.

Anyway, cabins are cool too. And many cabins are really just second houses, not old rustic places. Another place for you to be undomestic. ;-)

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, ask Tim and Angela if THEY know anyone who invites them to their cabin!

Ours is not rustic, but its not 5-star either and that is part of its charm. Its an hour drive from our house and gorgeous. The ocean is lovely, it truly is. But a home on a lake, peaceful nights and full, fun days in the water is something else all together.

BTW, that photo of all three kids sleeping is priceless. What a great shot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home