UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Done

We moved to Minnesota when Cameron was just 5 weeks old.

A couple months later I started my journey into grad school.

Six years and 2 more kids later, I finally completed the 30 credits for my Masters in Education in Curriculum and Instruction in English Education from the University of Minnesota.

We had a party last night called my “Finally! fiesta”

Several people were asking me the question of the night: “So what are you going to do now?”

And I don’t think my standard answer of “I don’t know” portrayed any kind of intelligence.

Here are the things I have in mind:

Take another class. My advisor wants me to take his class on some new technologies which involve a bunch of stuff (great vocab for an English teacher) that I don’t really get since I’m no longer around teenagers on a daily basis…things like creating podcasts, wikipedia, etc.

I could just be a mom…and continue with doing all the daily chores that I abhore around the house…(the chores I abhore…not my kids…love them…but not their messes!). I could actually try to teach my 2 littlest ones their letters and sounds and plan some real learning activities besides watching Backyardigans, Dora, and Wonder Pets.

I could get a teaching job….but I will only do part time at the moment. And then I’d fear that I’d spend too much of my time with my kids too stressed out worrying about how I was going to get all my school work done. Because when you’re a good teacher, your work day NEVER ends at 4 PM like so many non-teachers think. Plus, it’s actually quite hard to find a part time job for a middle school teacher. And, despite my certification, I have little interest in teaching high school. Furthermore, despite the benefits of my advanced degree, too many school districts have too many budget restraints that won't let them hire anyone with a Masters or beyond.

I could try to be a consultant. That’s what I think I want to do. That way I could answer my calling and feel like I’m really doing something, while also having the flexibility to be with my kids as I/they need. My plan is to take this next year, figure out how to create a business as a consultant, and get it all together to implement the following year. There are so many charter schools in Minnesota…many who can’t afford departement heads who are needed to create effective and inspiring curriculum…that I feel this could really work. But my problem is I’m not much of an extrovert. Although I do feel confident in my teaching abilities and I have the passion for middle school students, I’d really be stepping out of my “comfort zone” to do something like this. And this is S-C-A-R-Y!

Plus, if I don’t so something, how am I supposed to justify having Sara four days a week who helps me out so much with the housework and my 3 munchkins. We have NO intention of letting her go…but I feel I need some sort of “job” or “school” to justify her help without feeling like a completely spoiled housewife!!!!

But I am so grateful to my husband for his support both emotionally and financially, and I need realize that I am so blessed that I do have so many choices. But if you were around my kiddos lately,…who ignore everything I say, or who whine and cry for everything, or who reach for anyone else who is near as soon as she sees me approach her, you’d understand that I need SOMETHING else to help me feel like I’m contributing something positive to society.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 4:41 AM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

Amen, sister!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger KC said...

congratulations, cari! I am finishing next week, too. :) Just want to put a little bug in your ear about a .4 opening that we have at my school. It would be English 10, the people are nice, and you would be great at it. Just FYI. ;) Of course, you would also be great at consulting for charters. That sounds exciting!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger KC said...

ok, i was just re-reading that you don't have interest in high school, BUT I promise my kids act more like middle schoolers!!

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Whatever you decide, you'll be great!

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can do ANYTHING, Cari! You are so amazing to me! I tell you what, if you can step out in faith then maybe I can too...

Love you, and congrats. Hey, why isn't there a picture of your cake? (hee,hee)

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
Consulting sounds wonderful! I wish I could do that, but for now, that's only a dream for me. This week I am doubly proud - of my sister, for getting "our" PhD., and for you, getting your Master's. What wonderful accomplishments! Revel in the moment! God bless!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger wiferhood said...

Take some time to relax and get focused. You have worked hard for the past few years.

I think you would be a great consultant. You have an eye to recognize the needs of children in middle school. For now, just relax!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home