UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Nice and soft

Every week my husband and I have a “date night” planned. However, with his schedule and other activities, we seem to average going out together about once every two weeks. Usually we just do dinner and a movie, but he always complains that we should do something different. So this time I planned something different alright…but I wouldn’t tell him what because I feared his reaction.

All he knew was that it was around the corner from our house. I had to make an appointment for it. He could wear whatever he wanted, but I suggested shorts. And he knew that I was afraid he wasn’t going to like it.

His guesses were:
Swimming, Going to the gym, Painting pottery, Going to the gas station???

Cameron knew where we were going, and he was just giddy knowing that I was taking his daddy someplace, and he didn’t even know where it was and probably wouldn’t want to do it. I had to threaten everything of interest to him so that he wouldn’t tell his father who was trying to pry it out of him.

So where did we go?

To get manicures and pedicures! When we pulled up to the strip mall, and he finally guessed that we were going into Mia's Nails, he just sat down on the curb and started laughing…telling me “Ha. Ha. That was funny one. Jokes over, let’s go now.”

But I insisted that we go. With all the handwashing he does all day, his hands feel almost like sandpaper…and they’ve been really bad lately. Plus, I knew he’d really like the pedicure.

Anxious as he was, he humored me and went along with my idea….and except for how much it tickled when they scraped all the dead skin off his feet…he actually enjoyed it, and claimed it was one of our better date nights.

When we arrived home, Sara told us that at bedtime, Cameron told her to tell me to make sure I come upstairs to let him know what color daddy got his nails painted!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a man who is a good sport about trying something different. Way to go Cari for the idea and way to go Melvin for going with the flow! Can't wait to be with you all soon.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger LH said...

I love that idea. The mani/pedi is always a good time. Don't know if my husbandman would go for it. i'll inquire.

something different is what i need right now in my life.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger wiferhood said...

Max was just like Lewis the first time I took him--reluctant and hesitant about the idea. Now, he loves it. We are going tomorrow in fact for our mani's and pedi's.

One time, I talked him into getting his eyebrows waxed so they would be even (not arched). Lewis was so mad at me when the girl ripped the hot wax off his face. I thought he was going to walk out of the salon. HA! Great date night idea.

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny- I can just imagine Melvin's immediate reaction when you pulled up to the salon.

Missed your call- we were in San Diego too! Were there, then NYC, and home for two days and then leave for Seattle tomorrow. Will be back next week and then Toronto. Am dying to talk to you so will call in the midst of all of this.

I want details on the marathon- I'm thinking about it.
L

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are a couple of shots of us at a "happy hour pedicure" in the Spa at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay. I highly recommend the experience.

http://www.bmary.com/Anniversary06/PICT5164.JPG

and

http://www.bmary.com/Anniversary06/PICT5161.JPG

-Bob

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Wow, if we had martinis in hand, who knows what else I could have convinced my husband to do! A Pedicure Happy Hour is an awesome marketing strategy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home