Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

It WAS positve

This morning, as I was making Cameron’s daily PB & J for school, Max started handing me things to add to his lunch. First he gave me the juice box, “This for Cameron’s lunch?” he asked, as he put it in the Superman lunchbag. Then he found a bag of animal crackers and again asked, “This for Cameron’s lunch?” then added it to the bag. He also tried to add some chocolate pudding, but I stopped him at that. At my request he found some napkins and a plastic spoon to include as well. Next, he took the lunch bag and insisted on putting it in Cameron’s backpack all by himself. What a helpful little bug he was.

A few minutes later, I found him sitting at the kitchen table, taking dry Cinnamon Toast Crunch out of his cereal bowl, breaking it up with his fingers and adding it to another bowl he had just retrieved. “Max? What are you doing?” I asked. “I make for Ella,” he responded. Ella was sleeping in today, but I guess he figured she’d be up soon and needed some breakfast.

When it was time for Cameron to catch the bus, Ella was still in her crib sleeping, and Max was busy watching Diego, so I quietly stepped out with Cameron to walk him across the street where the bus comes in the morning. As I was returning home, I was thinking how helpful Max was being this morning, and how I would have to write a very positive blog about him today.

But then…….when I reached the side door where Cameron and I originally snuck out, I turned the knob, but it wouldn’t open. The dead bolt was locked! I didn’t have my keys with me. I knocked for a few minutes, but Max didn’t come to the door.

Then I walked around to the front door, and rang the doorbell. After a few rings, Max came trotting to the door, smiling at me through the side windows. I yelled at him to open the door, but he couldn’t get the lock turned all the way. I motioned him to go to the side door, the one he had originally locked in the first place. He just smiled at me and said, “I go play!”

Eventually he came to the side door, and although he had no problem locking the door, he couldn’t get it unlocked. My last resort was the garage. I pointed to the door connecting the garage and the house. Thankfully, it was open. And as I mentioned in a previous blog when Max escaped, he’s tall enough to reach the automatic garage door button. It took a few minutes of my yelling at him to push the garage button and NOT play in the garage, but he finally managed to do it, and I was able to get back into the house.

I really wanted to write only good things....but he gave me no choice


At 10:59 PM, Anonymous dayna thompson said...

As will all criticism, you started with the positive before mentioning the negatives. Let's look on the bright side; thankfully he knew how to open the garage. I assume Max was at the hospital so if little Max didn't know how to open the door, you might just be a cream-icicle.

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous dana said...

I guess you learned another lesson....never leave Max in the house alone without leaving with a key!!

At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari-
Z climbed up the flight of stairs this morning- that would be the hardwood steep set from our main level to the upstairs.

He apparently wanted B's cell phone that was on top of the stairs.

He is channeling your children!


At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww... C'Mon, Cari! He was trying to be responsible, and lock the doors so everyone would be safe. ;)

He was well intentioned, I'm sure, and that's a great thing...

As with any kid too smart for their age (I should know) there's just a bit more learning needed before their being helpful is really helpful...


Post a Comment

<< Home