UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Why bother.


I’ve been kinda slacking in the cooking department. Since Christmas, Melvin has been munching on left-overs. So today I decided to cook dinner. A little mealball-type meal my mom taught me how to make called “Porcupines.” It’s not hard to make, but it does require more steps than just turning on the oven and heating it up. In addition, I made broccoli and rice.

When my husband walked in the door, he said, “You made dinner?” as if he was quite surprised. I told him what I cooked, and he reminded me that I made that almost everyday when we were first together. He reminds me this every time I cook this meal.

As we sat down to eat, Cameron took one look at it and said, “I don’t like it.” I made him try it, because he used to like it. And he only complained more that he didn’t like it. When I told him he had to eat five big bites before he could play his new computer game, he started gagging on the food.

Ella ate a little, then wanted nothing to do with her food. As she was leaning over to try to stand up in her high chair, she literally started to fall head first. Luckily, I caught her arm just as she was losing her balance.

Max took one bite and proceeded not to eat any of it. Not the rice, not the broccoli, not the meatballs.

Melvin asked, “What kind of meat is this?” I told him it was ground turkey. “Oh, that’s why it tastes so funny.”

With such a reception of my food, can anyone really blame me for not wanting to cook!

4 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

God bless you for trying to feed your family. Remember that this is the perfect opportunity to incooperate that self talk. I would say something like; Wow, mom thanks so much for working so hard to put this great meal on the table. Your'e the best mom in the whole wide world. I'm so lucky!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Oh! Is that what my self-talk is supposed to sound like? Mine is more like this: "Yeah, I know, I'm the worst mom in the world. I suck at being a mom." Maybe I'll try your way and see how it works.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Caro said...

Oh goodness, that is so aggravating.

I have one kid that tends to hate everything I make.

Her day will come. Mwahahahaha.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Carolyn,
Yes, well, unfortunately, I was that kid. And now, my day has come!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home