UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I like YOUR present!


Our Christmas morning started long before the kids woke up, as our heater decided not to work. Haven’t been in this brand new house more than 2 years and the heat breaks down! Luckily, we had lots of blankets, a fireplace to turn on, and someone who was actually willing to come out Christmas morning to fix it.

Cameron tried to wake up at 5:30 AM, but we promptly put him in our bed and told him to go back to sleep. He would lie there for a few minutes and then ask, “Can I open presents now?” To which we’d mumble “No.” Then a few minutes later he’d say, “This is taking too long. Can I open them now?” Same response from us. A few minutes later he decided to try a different strategy. “Well, can you open your presents now?” Except for a few chuckles, our response didn’t change. Eventually he went back to sleep.

Once everyone did get up, the present opening began. Cameron jumped right in and wanted to play with everything as soon as he opened it. It was fun to see him jump up and down and proclaim, “I’ve ALWAYS wanted this!” with several of his gifts.

At first, Max had very little interest in opening his own gifts. He liked giving Ella hers, mainly because he wanted to play with all the food and kitchen utensils. And Ella was actually more interested in Max’s Dora and Diego toys than her own. At one point, they were actually fighting over the small basket of food I got from the dollar section of Target! I knew when purchasing their gifts that they would be “shared.”….now if only they actually understood this concept.
The rest of the day I cooked while Melvin did a lot of sleeping. He was up almost all night creating my gift and dealing with the non-heat issue. It was a low key day in that we didn’t have any visitors, and we all spent the entire day and evening in our PJs. Sometimes the kids played beautifully. And other times…many other times…it seemed like there really was a war occurring in our house.

Melvin and I went the sentimental route this year with gifts. I bought him an iPod that he had expressed an interest in several months ago. Then I programmed it with songs we listened to back when we met as camp counselors in 1993 and then several other songs that had some sort of meaning to us throughout the year. He said it was the best Christmas gift I had ever given him.

And what was he doing all night for my gift? I opened the box to find two albums filled with all of my blog entries. He purchased a color printer and spent the entire night printing out a year and half of my posts and placed them in plastic covers. It was so sweet, and I had a lot of fun looking through all of the different entries and pictures (but cringing at all of my mistakes!).

It was a nice Christmas, but now I must go figure out where I’m going to put all of these toys!!!

3 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari--
What an awesome Christmas! I love the part about staying in pj's all day. I was just telling a friend of mine that personal gifts mean so much more than store bought items. No matter how many Christmas Seasons pass, you will always remember the blog photo album.

Also, I didn't think to do that. That's a really good idea. Thanks Max. Everyone looked like they had a great day.

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Cari! That was such a sweet gift from Melvin- and my bet is he had had little sleep the previous nights (I'm guessing he had to be on call the rest of the week before in order to arrange for Christmas Eve night and Christmas off) so especially sweet to stay up most of the night. B gave me an iPod with loaded romantic songs too- great minds think alike.
L

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cari,
Great minds do think alike. I was going to suggest that idea to you. There's a lot of great stuff in the archives. Stupid furnaces must think alike too, mine went out earlier this month too. Seee you soon. Rosalyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home