UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, January 02, 2009

Like a Vampire

Good News!

My blood counts are down.

And I spent most of my day sitting in the hospital getting a blood transfusion.

Why would this be good news one may ask?

Because this means that the head pain, back pain, overall achiness, and fatigue are not due to the cancer growing, but rather due to other, treatable issues.

For one I was weened off my steroids that I had been taking, and apparently my body still needs me on them to produce whatever needs to be produced for a healthy cell count. So the simple solution is to put me back on a low dose of steroids. I'm not thrilled about this, because I really wanted to get rid of this puffy face and eyes, but oh well. Whatever will keep me healthy is what I need to do.

The other reason why my bloodcounts were down was the Xeloda itself. The chemo can do that, which is why you take a week off, to give your body a break from the poison, before going back on for 2 more weeks. I had a blood transfusion to give me some healthy cells and bring my counts and blood pressure back up.

Now hopefully I will be feeling better. Mentally, I already feel better knowing that the new cancer isn't causing these problems. One of the issues I've been having is being incredibly light headed when standing up or down or even going up or down stairs. I'd actually hear an odd throbbing sound in my head, but I refused to tell my husband because I figured he'd think it was funny and joke around about the "voices" in my head. Well it turns out, my doctor told ME that with such a low blood pressure and my low counts that I might experience a "whooshing" sound in my head. It felt so good to know that I wasn't losing my mind after all....and that it's treatable.

Thank you for those who sent me messages to cheer me up.

And a huge THANK YOU to blood donors!!!!

Hebrews 10:35-36
Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

11 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise God!!! I would love to give you a pint or 2 anytime!!! Go GOD!!

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger unzen said...

Hope you feel better. Praying for you and your family. Peace be with you all.

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is wonderful, wonderful news!! God is GREAT.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger RuthieJ said...

I'm glad a transfusion will help you feel better Cari and thanks for the reminder for me to schedule another blood donation appointment for next week.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

Great, great news! I, too, get the light headedness from geting up to fast and going up stairs..I have very low blood pressure! So, I know all about that "sound" in your head when you get that way- as I get that often! So glad to hear things were good news today!!!

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooooooo glad that you have reasons for all the discomforts that you were experiences and it was not that the cancer was back to growing! Praise God for the medical professions that can give us answers! Take care of yourself and enjoy the weekend with your family after that new blood in your system!
Still praying for you,
Donna Termont (Sarah's mom)

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger cg said...

Oh that is such good news :-) Trusting with you that 2009 will only hold health and happiness for your house!!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Jaye said...

That IS good news! God is AWESOME!! Wish I could donate blood, but alas, I cannot - wouldn't want to ADD to your problems! Love & hugs!

Jaye

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger C said...

What wonderful news Cari!

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Angela's Kitchen said...

I am glad they found something they can do for you in such a "simple" way to help you feel better, and so relived it WAS such an easy fix and not more cancer growth!

Here's to a lot of healing and health for the upcoming year! Love you!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger AnnD said...

The balancing systems within the body are truly amazing. I can only imagine that having your husband help explain some of the issues is very calming. The idea of a blood transfusion is pretty beyond the beyond to me - so, while happy it was a simple fix, trust that I think of you often and amazed at the continuous ethusiasim you exude on this blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home