UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Getting Scanned

The breast cancer I was diagnosed with is called Triple Negative. It basically means that my cancer will not respond to the usual hormones or medications that prevent it from returning. It affects a lot of younger people, and I read not too long ago that it often metastasizes to the brain. It's a new kind of cancer, so not much is known about it...which is why, last year when I was given the "all clear" for cancer, my brain was never scanned. I don't know if it would have made a difference. Who knew how long the cancer has been forming in my brain...or how fast...but my point is, if you've been diagnosed with Triple Negative, insist on getting a scan of your brain.

I think I'll be getting another scan this week. Although I finish my spine radiation on Wednesday...one less daily appointment...I have just started to exhibit some concerning symptoms apparently. My tongue is starting to get numb and tingly again on my right side (yes, I did just write a few days ago how it was better....but that's how crazy and confusing this cancer is). When asked if we should radiate more, my doctor said that we can't keep radiating the same spot now because it could paralyze me. It's all so confusing to me. And on Thursday we go to see my oncologist, where we'll have to make major decisions on chemo and the best options right now.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Blogger KC said...

Cari, I'll be thinking of you during all of your appointments this week!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger connie and rob said...

Cheesy maybe, but when we have a rough day around here, I sing this song really loud:
The sun'll come out...tomorrow.
bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow, There'll be sun! Just thinkin about...tomorrow,
Clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow...til there's none! Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you're only a day a way!

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I pray that the scan went well, and with great results...

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger cindy said...

praying for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home