UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I'm kinda particular about numbers.

Here's a question for all you cancer survivors out there.

When someone says that they're a 4 year survivor, a 10 year survivor, a 20 year survivor, etc, when exactly are they counting from?

Do they start their survivor time after they've had their surgery to remove the tumor? When they finished all their treatment? When they received their first "all clear" from the oncologist?

I know it doesn't really matter. But I've often thought about when I'll be considered a "one year" survivor?

Just wondering.

----------------

While on the topic of cancer, please continue to keep this family in your prayers. The battle they've had to fight seems to be never ending.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger wiferhood said...

Cari~

You became a survivor, or more than a conqueror, the day you made Jesus the Lord of your life! (Romans 8:27) The strength you have shown during this battle has increased your faith and trust in God!

Hugs & Kisses :~D

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

I was wondering the same thing and was planning on asking my medical oncologist at my next visit.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Angela's Kitchen said...

My dad pretty much goes by from when the doctor said he was cancer free. He was still fighting it until then...

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,

I consider it the day you are cancer-free--for me, the day of my surgery. Five years, on August 6th!

Aunt Sally

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Angie said...

I think you became a survivor the day you were first diagnosed! Once you're cancer free don't they refer to that as complete remission? So, in my case I'm a 1 year survivor in remission for 6 months.

I like the one year survivor part! Hadn't thought about it really so I'm glad you brought it up!

Take care,
Angie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home