UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Interview tomorrow


As most of you know, last year, after 3 years of taking off to stay home with my kiddos, I was all ready to return to work. I had a part time job, teaching middle school language arts at a nearby school district. After my very first day of district training, I received the phone call from my doctor that I had breast cancer. Needless to say, I didn't return to work that year.

I decided last year that in addition to getting through all my treatments, I'd take the next year off as well, since I'd still be having extensive reconstructive surgery that I'd need some recovery time for, as well as many doctor appointments. Plus, because of my diagnosis, I've had this nagging feeling in my mind that God didn't want me to have that job, so maybe returning to work isn't what I should be doing (but that is a post for another day).

However, no matter what my gut feeling has been, each week I look in the paper at the classifieds....partly out of habit, partly to see what's out there, and partly in hopes that the perfect job, one that will allow me time for my family as well as giving me the opportunity to actually use my degree, would be posted that given week. I haven't actively persued anything. I haven't searched the website/newspaper in the other Twin City that contains more jobs. I haven't looked at individual district's sites that posts more jobs than the newspapers reveal. I just quickly glance through the 2 to 3 columns of jobs to see if any pertain to me. None has.

Until 2 weeks ago.

That's when a job for a library assistant appeared before my eyes....at a very prestigious and expensive private school where I would love for my kids to attend. Now except for my love of adolescent literature and many research projects I've developed with my students, I don't have any "formal" library training. But this job listing didn't require a library science degree. Just someone who had some library experience and an interest in working with middle school and high school students.

Key to this job is that it's parttime. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...full days. But the rest of the week I'd have off.

The pay is crap, compared to what I'd get paid if I was teaching. However, I wouldn't have work to "take home" like a teaching job, and the job comes with benefits. Now I'm not sure what the benefits are, but I'm hoping, praying, that they involve something around tuition reduction if your child attends their school. Now that would be the ultimate benefit.

I had a very brief phone interview with the middle school director. It was kinda funny because one of his questions basically asked me why, with my advanced degree and all the teaching jobs out there that I'm qualified for, why would I just want to be a library assistant. I kinda laughed and told him that I'm looking for a job that allows me to tap into my interest in adolescent literature and to work with middle school and high school students, without the full time committment that a teaching job requires.

I'm actually kinda nervous about my interview. Because I have never interviewed for a library position before, I have no clue what they're going to ask me, and I don't have a prepared portfolio to use to help show my talents for the position. I'm afraid they're going to ask me about a bunch of books I'd suggest, and I'll just go blank under pressure. I don't have a huge amount of experience with high school book suggestions, especially for advanced high school students, so that worries me as well.

I guess instead of writing about my worries, I really should be preparing for this interview. And praying that God helps me through this ordeal and makes it clear the path that I should follow by way of a fulfilling job.

There may also be some childcare issues and surgery recovery issues that I'll have to figure out if I get the job. But I figure that I'll shoot for getting an offer first, and deal with the other issues later.

So right now, a toast of red wine...and then I think I better go figure out who exactly I'm interviewing with. Would be nice if I knew the guy's name when I go into the school office, don't ya think?

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger Jaye said...

I'll be praying with/for you, that whatever happens, it's best.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger wiferhood said...

"Do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about its own things." Matthew 6:34.

In other words, take it one day at a time. Concentrate on what you need to take care of today and tomorrow's issues tomorrow.

You are a smart, bright, energetic woman. I am confident you will get through the interview easily regardless of what questions are asked.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

and... How did it go?

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Angela's Kitchen said...

Is that what you are wearing to your interview? Because it is FAB!

Gook luck, sweetie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home