UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Deport me!

Now that all my tests were clear, I can pretty much be assured that I won't be needing any chemo in the near future. So tomorrow (Wednesday) I get this ugly portacath removed.
It was great when I had it because my veins weren't ruined with all the needle pricks, and I could use numbing cream on it so that I never felt any pain. But it sure was ugly, looking like some deformed bone protruding from my body. Plus, when I would carry Ella when she was throwing a fit, she'd often push on the area of my port, causing discomfort and sometimes extreme pain.


To "deport" me, I have to undergo anesthesia, for a short 15 minute operation. Because they're knocking me out, I had to have a pre-op appointment today to make sure I'm healthy enough for the surgery. All was fine, except my blood pressure was a little low, and my white blood cell count was low as well. This is concerning, and something I need to check on with my oncologist, but not something that will prevent me from having the surgery.
I "go under" very early in the morning, so I'm hoping that by the afternoon, I'll be back to my normal self, and able to check off another task on my Kill Cancer To Do List.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger LH said...

Sending good thoughts your way for your
deportification tomorrow. It will be good to take that out.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Oh, good for you! My port isn't as pronounced as yours (I have a LOT more fat to hide it in!) :)

It's definitely another step complete - kudos to you! And, you are SO lucky to have an early a.m. surgery!!!! Yah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home