UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It's all political...I'm sure

As the community where I live grows, the schools restructuring from junior highs to middle schools (finally), and a new high school being built, school boundary lines are changing.

Which means people are NOT happy.

There are three plans being considered by our school board, and various neighborhoods in my town are banning together in favor of, or against, particular plans. My own neighborhood has formed committees, discussed strategy, contacted and arranged a photo for the newspapers, met with board members, etc. all to get our opinion out. And boy am I glad that OTHER people like to do that kind of stuff.

The school board is hosting FOUR sessions where they just sit and listen to community input. I went to the second meeting tonight, not to speak, but to show my support for my neighborhood and hear the arguments for the other two plans.

Everyone has valid points. Everyone wants what's best for their kids. I can't really say that one neighborhood has a significantly better argument over another for their chosen plan.

I sat and listened intently to the first few speakers, but after a while, it all started to sound the same. And for some of the speakers, I really couldn't figure out which plan they were supporting. I found myself watching the 3 minute clock (the amount of time each person had to speak), wishing I had one of those canes from the gong show to yank the person away from the podium as soon as the faint buzzer went off.

And then I looked at the school board members, who tried to seem interested. But really, how could they be? They've received countless e-mails from community members. They've already sat through one meeting of these arguments. They knew they were going to have to sit through 2 more in the coming week.

As people made some very valid points, I could just imagine each board member merely hearing, "Blah! Blah! Blah"...knowing damn well that they were just going to vote for whatever works best for their own kids, or for the people they associate with. I hope not. But can you blame them?

We'll see how this all pans out at the end of the month.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

Go White or Blue Plan...

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Ann said...

We were hit with the same issue last week - rumours that they were changing the school boundaries. I live on the historically 'wrong-side' of the tracks (which if you knew my neighbourhood - that in itself is a joke). [It is an established neighbourhood - 1930s.]

The rumour was they were going to draw the line at my boundary and send the kiddos (30-40% of the school) to another school a few miles away. It caused a massive stir amongst the parents of the 'westerners'. The trustees were contacted, the committee of 'growth management' was emailed, the Parent Council minutes reviewed, the lawyer parents rallied for law firm assistance.

The end result - not over the body of that trustee would the line ever be drawn there (or so he said) - political suicide - guess he likes being a trustee. We have a stay for a few more years.

I live in one of the best school districtions in Toronto, my husband went to this junior/middle school, we bought the house because of the school - and really it isn't overcrowded (maybe 50 kiddos over 600 - so nothing outrageous).

I never even knew boundaries could cause an issue but wow, I was sleepless for a few nights fretting!

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Oh ... and on the BPA issue - disposable plastic should be fine. Look at the recycle number - BPA will be#7 (not exclusive # - but most disposable plastic is recyclable - #7 isn't!)

Someone yesterday raised the clear (that is the key to BPA - CLEAR) tupperware containers - not sure of the answer.

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari....You could be in Bridgeton where they restructure their boundaries every other year (and I am NOT exaggerating) and no one has any say or any input....Dana

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Oh no irishmommy....NOT white. Definitely NOT white!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

Sorry! Red sends our kids ALL the way to the other side of Woodbury for middle school, when we have one right down the street. We are W-10 on the map and our kids will be sent to a different middle school then all their piers from elementary. We are in the exception area outlined on the boundary map! I guess we will live with whatever they decide...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home