UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Hike!

About three years ago we moved into a brand new neighborhood; only about 12 houses were built. Now there are dozens of houses, and along with the new structures are new families with kids, kids, kids galore.

After school today about 8 boys gathered in our backyard for a pick-up game of football. This is the kind of "playdate" that I like. One that's not arranged ahead of time. One that doesn't require me to drive anywhere. One that doesn't involve awkard small talk with a mom I don't know.
It was hard, however, to bite my tongue when tempers flared. And a few times I had to let the boys know that yelling "Shut Up!" in someone's face is not allowed in our backyard. Plus, Sara dealt with some namecalling. Actually, I think the boys did more arguing than playing. "Well, my dad played professional football for the Eagles, so I know what I'm talking about." and "Well, my dad is a coach for the Minnesota Gophers!" was shouted out a few times. Plus, Cameron did end up sulking because no one was giving him the ball. Obviously, at this age, there's a lot to learn about teamwork and respect on the field. It is supposed to snow again this weekend (ugh), so I don't know how much football is going to occur in our backyard. But I do look forward to more neighborhood fun in the future. Maybe next time I can get them to play soccer instead....although I doubt it.


4 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh geez...i already worry about those sorts of attitudes during play. then again, i remember what i had to deal with (and gave) when i was growing up. ultimately kids move past that, with proper guidance. i just hope cameron isn't the one everyone else tries to the throw the ball into his face....like i was.

-s

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

How nice to have the kids in your yard so you can keep an eye on them, but outside so you don't have to hear them.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger mi said...

These are the afternoons I look forward to with two boys. How fun, name calling and all.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

Ah, Yes...I heard all about it when they arrived home! There is no such thing as "working together" at this age! Glad to see you have more time to update your Blog! I really need to stay up late some night and do some major updating on mine!!!! Thanks for having the "rowdy" ones over!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home