UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Healthcare costs....a lot!

Up until this past year, my family has been pretty healthy. Except for some ear tubes, we've had no major medical issues. My husband also had really good medical insurance, so the actual cost of anything medical out of pocket seemed rather minimal. I never actually saw a bill for anything.

This past year due to some changes at my husband's job, we were forced to switch insurances. It's not as good. Now when I go to the doctor, I pay a $30 co-pay, in contrast to the $0 co-pay from before. I think we pay more for our prescriptions and a bigger percentage of any medical treatment as well.
However, what we have is better than nothing. Because when we switched insurances, there was a mix-up, and a bill came to our house. For ONE chemo visit..which included labs, seeing the oncologist, and the chemo itelf, we were charged:

Now multiply that by EIGHT, for all of my chemo treatments.

I thank the Lord that he provided a job for my family with any kind of insurance, and that my husband works so hard to provide for us.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a cultural thing [coming from England] I have such a hard time coming to terms with the medical insurance thing.

It's probably un-American to say, but I do so wish that the richest nation in the world had universal health care. What on earth do our taxes actually go towards? If they can do it in Europe, why can't they do it here?
BEst wishes

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

I agree on the medical insurance issue. I used to work for BCBSMN (free insurance) and Tom worked at Mayo ($60 a month for insurance), we had 100% coverage. Now, with Tom's new job, we pay $1,100 a month and have a $4,200 a year deductible before anything is covered! Don't you think doctors should have better insurance! Oh well, I am with you, I thank the Lord that we have coverage!!!

Lincoln's staples in his head this past fall were $975 for 4 staples!!!! Something Tom could have done at home if he was not on call!!

Cameron was fine over here today, anytime! I promise, I do not always let my kids have "sugar" cereal for lunch! It was one of those days that started at 5:45 am and Tom and I were out last night for a "work dinner" until 11:15 pm.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Scary, isn't it? I accidentally got the bill for my c-section with Kyle. It was over $19,000. Thankfully they resubmitted it to insurance and I owed nothing.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Fatty said...

just found your site via your comment in my site.

a few weeks ago, i was checking with my insurance company and found they provided $183,500 worth of coverage for us last year, which includes chemo and a hip replacement for my wife.

like you, i am really thankful for insurance.

though i did discover in that phone call that the insurance company has a $2,000,000 per person lifetime cap. considering that metastatic breast cancer is chronic, that huge number actually becomes rather worrisome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home