UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, February 01, 2008

I shouldn't be so ignorant. Really.

I have to shamefully admit that I have no clue who I’m voting for on Tuesday because I’ve basically blocked out anything having to do with the candidates. My apathy began last spring/summer, when the candidates started announcing their choice to run for the big office. I figured I would get so sick of them by the time the election came a full year and a half later in November that I wouldn’t want to vote for any of them. So I just turned the channel whenever I saw them on TV, and I read no news articles about them.

There was just one thing that I forgot about….the primary! Seriously, it wasn’t until 2 weeks ago that I realized that I would be asked to actually make a decision about which candidate I wanted to vote for.

Based on the general media coverage of the things that don’t really matter, here is the information that I have gleaned from each candidate.

Hilary Clinton– Has shed a tear. Is a woman.

Barack Obama– Father was Muslim. Is Black.

John Edwards – Wife has breast cancer

John McCain – Is old

Mitt Romney – Is Mormon (I assumed he was from Utah, but later found out I was wrong).

Huckabee – Reminds me of Gomer Pyle when he speaks (Don’t even know his first name)

Guliani – Spent a lot of money in Florida (I lived in NJ when he was mayor of NYC. Couldn’t stand him then and would NEVER want him as my president.)

Last night, my husband directed me to a “debate” (if you could call it that) between Obama and Clinton so that I could educate myself. I only watched about 30 minutes of it (Indiana Univ. basketball was on…much more important wouldn’t ya say?). The sad thing is, although Hilary and Barack sounded very confident and intelligent, they gave very few direct, detailed answers, that actually meant something to me, that I really don’t have much more to add next to their names.

I hope I have a coin in my pocket when I go to vote, I might have to flip it to make my decision.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before you vote, you might want to know that your choices have been whittled down. Giuliani and Edwards are no longer in the race.

Also, if you haven't taken the time to educate yourself on the candidates, the best thing to do is NOT VOTE. Especially if it involves simply flipping a coin.

As you probably know, I don't vote, on principle, but I'd think that if you are going to engage yourself in a process that entails picking someone who will try and direct your life, that you should at least take it fairly seriously. If not, it's better to opt out of the process completely. Just my two cents.

Finally, knowing you, you'd probably go with hillary or obama. Probably settling on Obama.

-scott

 
At 5:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't fret Cari, I am going to do a crash course on the candidates these next two days myself. This is my theory...........everything about the candidates and what they stand for can be summarized in "clift notes" just like in college. So my clift notes will probably be Sunday's newspaper.
Luv,
Mom

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Ann said...

I just get to watch and humour myself at the dynmaics of US politics - gosh, it is one long race. The latest Democratic 'debate' was way too much of a love-in for me - I enjoy the Republican debats more because there is more cat-calling (more fun to watch). Of note, I do now want to visit the Ronald Reagan library - it looks really cool (politics aside).

I actually feel sorry for the candidates - travelling about, in the spotlight, misquotes and missteps, hotels - yuck, I won't ever be running for US president (ha ha - couldn't anyways!)

For what it is worth, I would go with Obama.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Jaye said...

Prayer. This year's race is really lackluster. I'm not a registered Dem, nor Republican, but this year, yikes! No one really stands out for me. So I'm going on prayer. I'll let God help me choose the lesser of 4-5 evils...

Or maybe I'll write someone in....wait, I don't think I can even vote in the Primary - I'll have to check it out.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

Don't feel bad, I've been paying close attention to the candidates and as far as I'm concerned...it's been a waste of time. None of them really say anything relevant, and clearly, unless it's something negative about the other. It's really pitiful. But nonetheless I am going to take advantage of my hard fought right to cast a vote for...SOMEBODY! Still in my prayers.

Love you much,
Auntie Nita

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger mi said...

Hey, I hear ya on that. It's all so tedious when they aren't really saying anything of substance. But like your aunt said, I have a right to cast that vote, and intend to do so. Sad that I feel more passionate about the actual act than any particular candidate.

btw- Reagan Library is in my hometown, and it is really cool. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home