UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

My growing sports fanatic


The other day, while he was taking a shower, Cameron said to me, “Mom, I have a problem.”

Just his tone made me want to laugh. But in all seriousness I responded,“Yes? What's wrong, honey?”

“There are two things I want to be when I grow up and I can’t figure out which one.” He obviously was having a very pensive shower.

“Oh really? What are they?” I asked. I couldn’t wait to hear this. He used to say he’d either be a teacher or a doctor. But somehow I could tell he wasn’t quite thinking along these lines anymore.
“Well, one is to be a doctor.” Good. Glad that hadn’t changed.

"And the other one?" Please say teacher, please say teacher, I thought to myself.

“The other one is to be a football player.”

Hmm. Cameron has never played on a football team. We don’t watch football in our house. We don’t even talk about football. But he has a few friends who are football fanatics. Oh, and one of those friends has a Playstation football game that Cameron plays every time he’s at his house.

“A football player? Cameron you don’t even play football. You play soccer. You’ve been playing soccer for three years now!” I said, trying to remind him of what he really likes. Trying to make sure that he doesn’t try to switch fall sports on me. I played soccer and I like watching my son play soccer. Very little equipment to be responsible for. Very few injuries. Football?….um, no thank you.

“Well, I want to play football now. And now I don’t know if when I grow up I should be a football player or a doctor.” he stated, as if this really was a dilemma that needed to be solved now...while washing his hair.

“I’d say a doctor,” I responded, without hesitation of course.

“Why?” Cameron asked, sounding a bit disappointed in my suggestion.

I wanted to say, Because that’s the smart thing to be, the sensible thing to be, and according to your father the ONLY thing to be. But instead I responded with a more convincing, “Because doctors help people.”

“But football players can help people, too. Like the quarterback helps his teammates get a touch down, and then he gets to do a dance like this…" I’ll spare you the details of his little jig, as it was not pretty.

“Well, I still think you should be a doctor,” I said, as if my opinion really mattered to him at this point.

"Nah, I think I’ll be a football player."

Next thing you know, he's going to start telling me he wants to be like every other Minnesotan and be a hockey player. If he tells me that....well, we might just have to move.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe cameron is stronger than i know, but i think one good hit on the football field will knock him right back to the medical books. and once he gets tired of the boring medical books, send him outside to run. he'll be america's next long distance running champion...right?

-s

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

S-
Thanks for reminding me...I have to register him for Track tomorrow...BEFORE he decides he wants to do baseball...like the rest of his friends do.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what is wrong with baseball?
Mom

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

I don't know Cari. I kind of think you have to let them try a lot of things to see what they really like and are good at...even football and baseball, if they choose. And actually, he might be really good at hockey. He can skate with two left skates and he's good at "taking out" other skaters!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Undomestic said...

That's just it Andrea...I don't WANT him to find out that he really likes something else! I want him to like what works best for me ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home