UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

If you're a guy, just don't read this.

In case you didn’t read the title, if you’re a guy, just don’t read this. Really, you won't be interested. Nor will you at all understand!

I went and bought some boobs today….one of those things you just gotta do if you have a mastectomy.

I’ve been putting it off, and just managing with the temporary foam ones I bought before I had my surgery. But my husband wanted to take the kids to the Dells this weekend…and well you can’t go to the Waterpark Capital of the World without wearing a swimsuit. So I needed to go shopping for swim forms!

I already had purchased a special mastectomy swimsuit from Land’s End; I just needed something to fill it up with!

So I went back to the wonderful A Fitting Place, in Hastings. And I was there for an hour!

Mainly because they don’t make breast forms small enough to match the side of me that wasn’t chopped off! So I was going to have to get a form for each side, to help match things up. But of course the forms had to be different sizes, and even shapes, to account for the tiny little lump of a breast that I still do have. That little thing was causing too much trouble. Seriously, I wish I had it chopped off with the original, since it’s going to happen during reconstruction anyway…but that’s another post for another day.

Anyhow, we got it all worked out, and then I decided to just go ahead and get the regular breast forms that I should have purchased right after my surgery to replace the foam ones. I decided to just get the B cup size, since that’s what I plan on being when I have reconstruction. So that too, involved the matching up, and the finding of the correct bra and size, and color, etc. No simple task, let me tell you.

And although the two ladies there were just so wonderful, kind and professional, I was just so uncomfortable with having my boobs being examined so closely! I mean seriously, when two ladies are staring at your boobs (fake or not), what are you supposed to do and say? I didn’t even know where to look but at the ceiling!

But in the end, I walked out of there with a very comfortable bra and some boobs that I hope look natural. They do regular professional bra fittings there as well. I highly recommend it.

I did decide this, however. The B cups don’t look much different from my super-padded A cup bras. I think I might have to ask my plastic surgeon to kick it up to a C cup size… when the time comes. I have several months before I need to make that decision. But it will be on my mind….or on my chest! Might as well go for it, right?

And one more thing. You know how when you buy an electrical item or some baby toy, you get a little card to fill out to register the item…usually in case of a recall. Well, my breast forms come with those registration cards. Are your boobs registered?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Blogger Ann said...

I never ends does it. Have to admit, I doubt I would have chosen a water park as a family outing (but I do love them - we have Great Wolf near here).

I would stay small - I think big breasts are over-rated (from someone normally very small, when not breastfeeding!)

Have fun ... will post a pic in your b-suit?

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger mi said...

You know, these are the details people in generally just don't consider. Have fun at the waterpark. Hopefully, you can just forget those falsies, and enjoy playing with your family.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger KC said...

my opinion is that you deserve whatever breasts you want after all of this. Go for the C-cup, girl!

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I just had a breast reduction this past Friday the 7th of Dec. Becuase they were way to big for my frame. Trust me from a larger girl who now is small. make it fit the frame.
Have fun with the falseies at the park.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Ann, the waterpark was NOT my choice at all. But we own a condo at the Dells, and well, I think (hope) it should work out now.

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to find the right tatas for the water park. Have fun!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Caro said...

My boobs happen to be registered as a dangerous weapon as they blacken my eyes when I jog.

C cup is a nice size. I'd go for it. I think you are fairly tall so C's or even D's would look great. The only bummer with D's is that you can't find a push up bra, not that you'll need one.

Happy swimming.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Angi said...

I am happy to say that I go braless now - my reconstruction is finally on track after 1 failed leaving a hole in my chest for 3 months. but now I have both tissue expanders in place, all is healing good, and I start my saline injections next mo. I waited 2 1/2 years for this. I'm so excited, I want it to be done and over with, but I know it should take about 3 mos. to fill them suckers up to a full D. I figured if I have to go fake, I want them to look like I paid a million bucks for them and I want them right (of course I'm not a skinny person though) I was working on losing lots of weight till I started all this. My doc won't let me diet and each time I have been in the hospital for surgery (3 x since July) I walk out 10 lbs heavier. It makes me so angry - I told him that when the finally surgery comes he needs to throw in a little nip tuck for free!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home