UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, October 05, 2007

To turn off, or not to turn off

Okay, so here I go with more medical “stuff” that I may or may not be correct about.

In addition to going through all the joys of chemo, I’ll also get to go through temporary menopause. Sounds like so much fun…anyone want to join me?

Let me see if I get this right:
When you go through chemo, the poison not only attacks the cancer cells, but healthy cells as well. It often attacks the ovaries by destroying the follicles, and usually…usually being the key word here…the ovaries come back and all is fine. But sometimes the ovaries don’t come back, and I would be stuck going through menopause at 34 years old.

My other option is to take an injection of Lupron. This will definitely shut off my ovaries for 3 months…thus inducing temporary menopause. Since the ovaries will be shut off, it’s unlikely that the chemo will attack them. And after all the treatments are done, they’ll “come back on” and all should be well…should being the key word.

Now I don’t have to do this. It was actually Melvin who asked the Oncologist about it. And she agreed that it’s something that we could do. I, of course, lean on my husband’s medical expertise and asked him, if it were him, what would he do? He said take the Lupron.

So the decision has been made. And I told him, “Well, okay, but you’re the one who’s going to have to live with me.” Hot flashes? Moodiness? In addition to all the chemo side effects. Is he sure HE wants to deal with this?

Oh, I just thought of something…I wonder if it will make me gain weight? If so, that might be a deal breaker. I might have to rethink this decision…I do have until Monday to decide.

What would you do?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

I have Lupron experience! Let me know if you want to hear about it...

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari- I emailed you on yahoo.
L

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cari - i don't know what to do about this particular question, but a couple of days ago you asked about a fun night out place. Of course, you are assuming I actually go out, which is not the case. BUT, I have been to Solera, which is fun food; and then, you're downtown, so if you want to do drinking and dancing, there are plenty of venues. Like the Fine Line?

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Jumper 2.0 said...

Generally, the earlier the menopause, the shorter the lifespan!
But this may be different due to a different cause??

I say take it.

1) Weight gain when you are likely to have a poor appetite with chemo is not such a bad thing and its only for three months.
2) Then you will have menopause at a more natural time of your life.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Caro said...

I'd take the Lupron. I think menopause is something I would personally want to put off as long as possible.

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know if this is the same, but I took Lupron when going through infertility treatment. The side effects weren't bad for me...but, again, it was for a different reason and I don't know if the dosage you'd be taking would be the same.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger mommyof3 said...

Hey Cari-
I have already hit menopause and I will be 30 this year. I had to have a total hysterectomy when the twins were about 3 months old, and it really is not that bad. I had to do the lupron thing before and that was worse for me then what I am going through now. If you want to here more give me a jingle.........Also, I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. I will be praying for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home