UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Study? Or not.

Based on a conversation my mom's group was having, a friend of mine sent out this article linking alcohol use and breast cancer.

My only thought was, damn, if they link it to caffeine as well, then I might as well just shoot myself now.

-------------------

Then I found an article that questions absolute the findings of the study, and my husband gave me a speech about how you can't just go off what you read in the news, but you have to read the actual study from the academic journal where it was published, see how it was conducted etc. etc. etc. I told him to go for it!

(Plus, the first article said the link to the alcohol might have to do with an increased level of estrogen, which may cause breast cancer. And well, I have the kind of breast cancer (triple negative) where this would not apply)

So for now...cheers!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a glass of wine for me (Chianti Classico, preferably, but at this point almost ANY one will do!). Love & hugs!

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Ann said...

I rarely read the whole article - but then again, anything too far off the beaten path, I tend to ignore as being a bit controversial so am less likely to adopt.

No way I am giving up wine ... anyways, I believe more women die of heart disease than breast cancer - and red wine is good for your heart!

Everything in moderation.

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that report too.....Melvin is right, you can't believe EVERYTHING that you read.

Dana

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melvin is absolutely right. You should have seen the stress I used to cause myself with infertility articles until I just started using B's Up-To-Date and reading the real thing.
Bring on those little wine juice boxes!
Love, L

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Caro said...

There will be an article refuting that article in a month. Enjoy your wine.

Have one for me too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home