UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Cancer or 2 toddlers in the morning....which would you rather encounter

I thought this morning was going to be easy. The only one I had to get ready and out the door by a certain time was Cameron. The rest of us could just chill and get ready all in our own time. No rushing. No yelling. No problems. Silly me to think such a thing.

When it was time to take Cameron to the bus, I had the other two kids settled watching TV while I waited with Cameron just across the street on the corner. I was out there for about five minutes when out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Max come zooming down the driveway on his scooter! That little pipsqueak was outside, in shorts, with his rugby shirt on backwards riding his scooter like it was the middle of the afternoon!

A couple minutes later Cameron’s bus came, and I managed to drag Max back inside with me…..

….where I was confronted with a bare-bottomed Ella and poop (poop that one could not imagine such a cute little girl producing) resting on the floor near her toys, with some spread all over her legs and our family room carpet.

I quickly cleaned her off with diaper wipes, while ignoring Max’s cries to do chalk. I carried her up to the bathroom and plopped her in the bathtub. I then came downstairs to try to get Max’s mind off the chalk and onto the playdough he usually requests. But he wasn’t sitting at the table where I left him, and instead I found him outside in the driveway…looking for chalk.

After getting him settled in with some playdough, I cleaned up the poop…discovering new smears everytime I glanced around the room.

Knowing I should get up to Ella who was sitting in the tub alone, I ran upstairs to find her out of the tub standing on a stool, naked, brushing her teeth with Cameron’s toothbrush.

After our usual struggle, I was able to get her dressed so that she could join her brother in his now play dough mess. But what we came down to was Max, “cleaning.” He had abandoned his play dough creations and sprayed the carpet cleaner that I accidentally left lying on the carpet, all over everything in the family room…on the leather ottoman, on the wood tables, on the concrete fireplace, and all over the carpet.

Then Sara walked in….not a moment too soon. Although I’m sure she wished she had just called in sick after seeing and smelling our morning adventures!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger wiferhood said...

Do you guys have a child escape route in the house? How is little Max always getting out?

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger IrishMommy said...

God bless you and Sara! I feel for you Cari. It's a nightmare having two kids so close in age...Some days I feel that I've aged a good ten years!

 
At 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari:

I don't know if this has ever crossed your mind, but your blog is so entertaining! And as a teacher you keep it grammatically correct (sometimes). I think you should consider writing a book. You know, like the kind of books that Erma Bombeck used to write! I may be showing my age with that suggestion. But if you just gathered the blogs that you've written (espcially the ones since you've been dealing with your cancer) and wrote a book, I think it would be a best seller! Oh, and please don't forget to include the pictures! Cause a lot of the time, one of the pictures that you post are worth a thousand or more words! But the most important thing is that you are a very interesting, and diversified person. You have an inate way of making your blog so interesting that I WANT TO READ IT! and I'm sure that I am not alone! If you kept a diary, and was truly honest about what's going on in your life, and then decided, "Yes, everybody should read this! It would be on the New York's Bestseller List. I believe that you are one of the most honest, remarkable, lovable, sociable and spiritual people that I've met in a long time. WRITE THAT BOOK!

Love you much,
Auntie Nita

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

Oh Cari! I have been there! Sorry, but your entry brought laughs! How about this one... Kennedy was 13 months old and everyone in our house had been sick for about three weeks. Tom recently left for Las Vegas for a medical conference for 5 days! I had been spraying Lysol Disinfectant spray every morning so we could "wipe out" that never ending illness in our home. I went dowstairs to help Wesley with the computer and I can upstairs to Kennedy with an EMPTY can of Crisco Non-stick spray! He had sprayed every room entrance on our white shag carpet, every comforter, every inch of my leather couches, every inch of our hard wood floors, and every pillow! He thought he was helping me! The hard wood floors were never the same- the oil soaked into the "scratches" and "dents" from all the cars, trucks and toys that had made their marks on the floor! I just sat back and cried!!! Then I called Tom, advised him I was abandoning his three little precious boys! After my moment of wanting to leave, I called a cleaning service and they could not be there for another two days! So, I cleaned for 5 hours and put towels down on the floors until the cleaning people could come! Needles to say, it never did come out- how do you get grease out of anything! So, hope that makes your day seem normal and a little better!!!!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Undomestic said...

Auntie Nita -- Thanks for the complement. I sometimes toy with the idea of writing a book about this whole experience, but I don't even know where you begin the process of that. Sometihng for me to consider though. Ma always talks about Erma Bombeck to me...I have NO IDEA who she is!

Fantastic Four -- Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! That's all I can say.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Caro said...

I'm having a big laugh at your expense.

Mama said there'd be days like this...

My son used to make poop paintings. My husband called him Pablo Poopcasso.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home