UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A "fun" shopping trip


Today my friend Andrea (pictured above) and I went shopping today for post-mastectomy stuff…if you know what I’m saying. Or should I say, post-mastectomy stuffing!

I’m so thankful to my friend for doing this with me. I knew it was something that I needed to do, but I have been very nervous about it and putting it off and putting it off. Without my even mentioning it to her, Andrea approached me and asked if I wanted her to go shopping with me. She even took the time to find some places online and set up an appointment for me. Honestly, somehow she knew that this is exactly what I needed someone to do for me.

I’m especially grateful because Andrea’s mom died of breast cancer when Andrea was 17, and sometimes I wonder if this brings back some very sad memories for her. But she’s been so especially helpful to me and I thank her for that.

We went to a store called, A Fitting Place, in Hastings. This was just the place that I needed to go. It was very cute, with a bunch of different rooms for various stages of the post-mastectomy/chemo process. One room was for wigs, another had swimsuits and sun hats, the front room had jewelry and inspirational knick knacks, and the back room, where I hung out, had all the necessary post-op wear.


The lady who owns the place had a sister who died from breast cancer, which inspired her to open this store. Her extensive knowledge of what I would need, the quaint décor, the Christian music playing the background, and my good friend tagging along with me, actually made this to be a very pleasant experience. I got what I needed, and now maybe when this surgery is all done, I won’t be hiding like a hermit after all.


Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Blogger KC said...

I had no idea this store existed either. I'm so glad Andrea recognized your need and took care of it.

I'm sending you all my positive energy this week, Cari.

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blessing that you have a place like this to go! God bless your friend, Andrea, too! You are continually in our prayers! James 5:16
"... and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
Love & hugs from New Jersey!!

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari,
I'm so glad I could do this with you. Whatever you need through this journey, I'm here.

(I hope we can make a habit of leaving the kids at home and going shopping and having lunch together... to regular clothing stores, of course!)

Andrea

 
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cari...That is so cool. Isn't it amazing that God knows exactly what we are going to go through and then has planted people in our lives at the exact time that we need them. God is amazing and faithful.

Love you, Dana

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

Cari- You are in our thoughts and prayers. We will be thinking of you and your family tomorrowing during the surgery.
Traci

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Jana said...

What a neat store and a great friend. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Thinking of you - glad you filled the wardrobe with some new attire.

Good luck tomorrow.

It is the 'Weekend to End Breast Cancer' in Toronto (and CAnada too) this weekend. I will be out cheering the folks doing the 2-day 60 km walk - and thinking of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home