UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Saturday, September 01, 2007

50/50 chance

I’ve been starting to get a little nervous about the surgery on Friday. The needles, the procedure, the pain, etc.

And then in the mail I get a pre-op form to fill out. Included with this was a pamphlet from United Hospital called Patient Guide for Surgery. It states:

Surgery Date: 9/7/07

Surgeon: Dr. Sanan

Arrival Time: 10:00 AM at Breast Center

Procedure: Right sentinel node biopsy, Right mastectomy

Procedure Time: 12:30 PM

Ummm…………my cancer is in my LEFT breast.

This mailing definitely didn’t help my nerves. Do I actually need to mark with a Sharpie where my cancer is located?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh damn. in all honesty, if you have any doubts....YES, write "THIS IS THE BREAST I NEED GONE. KTHANX!"

that whole wrong appendage gone thing HAS happened.

-s

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Caro said...

I would use the sharpie just to be sure.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Angi said...

YES! and if they remove all lymph nodes make sure to mark your arm NO IV STICK/BLOOD PRESSURE each AND every time you have surgery there after. There's no reason NOT to plat it safe, unfortunately doctors do make mistakes! mine caused nerve damage in my arm, so make sure to work your arm after to regain range of motion!
and to be honest, when I had my mast. on my right breast in 2005, I said I would never again do it, or wish it on my worst enemy - well I just opted to have my left breast removed on 7/23! The fear of cancer was something I didn't want to have to worry about on a daily basis - plus I wanted new matching boobs, since implants are my only option as my ins. won't cover the one where they use your own muscle and fat from your body. I didn't want one Pam Anderson boob, and one boob the felt real. So I told my PS to remove it and after that I didn't care if it looked like I had two halves of a melon on my chest, as long as they aren't under my chin. So I'm just saying, consider it greatly and ask if a double mast. is a possibility, cause trust me after one, you won't ever want to have another!
Hope your surgery goes well and you recover fast!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger LH said...

way to inspire confidence, hospital people.

sending good thoughts your way kiddo.

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it too late to ask for another surgeon? One that can tell left from right? Get the fluorescent sharpies! Put a smiley face on the correct boob! Our household is praying fervently for you and yours! Loves & hugs! God is THE Healer!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home