UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

One down...thousands to go

Cameron finished his first chapter book today. We’re all so excited. He’s been reading it to me for the last week. And now he can’t wait to get started on the second book in the series.

I’m not gonna lie and tell you that he just loves reading and that prompted a sudden surge of the activity. No, I finally just stuck with the rule that he couldn’t play on his computer until he read a chapter to me from a Magic Tree House book. At first it was long and slow, but I can honestly tell you that by the end of the novel, his reading had truly improved. Thus, evidence to the fact that you become a better reader by reading….not by answering multiple choice questions at the end of a passage (oh, but that’s a different post).

So although it’s not the great pleasure of the print motivating him, I’m hoping that eventually he will develop a love and I will catch him late one night, with a flashlight under his blanket, reading for the pure joy of it.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

reading is how kid's get fat. i attribute NOT reading to my slender physique.

kidding...but it's ok if he doesn't start right away. I didn't get into continous reading until I was living in Boston with you. Then it attributed to me dropping out of school. Go figure!

-s

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Cameron- and you too Cari for encouraging him!
L

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger LH said...

He has a great look on his face.
#1 son was forced to read the other night. We agreed to 15 minutes, but he got into
the book and read longer. Yay for
forcing literacy on people. :)

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Hmmm ... how old is Cameron? I can't wait for Kathleen to begin the reading process. We actually have Book 1 thur 16 of the Magic Treehouse (or the 'Jack & Annie stories' as we call them) on CD and we listen to them as bed time stories.

Well done Cameron.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home