UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A little creepy looking

I started brain radiation last week. Despite the new findings of cancer in the spine, our original plan of action won't change. I will first have whole brain radiation for about 24 days. The new course of action involves some sort of chemotherapy to treat the spine. My oncologist is still deciding what kind of chemo. And discussion has taken place on whether I start chemo at the same time I am doing radiation. Currently the answer is no. If I did start chemo now, the dose would be lower to keep it safe in conjunction with the radiation. This may not be as effective. But if I don't start the chemo now, will the cancer spread? We haven't decided exactly what to do about this.

Above is a picture of some guy (not me) set up for radiation. Yes, I have to wear that weird plastic mesh face mask which is used to bolt me to the table. It reminds me of spiderman, and isn't the most comfortable thing, but radiation only lasts a few minutes, so it's no big deal.
The headaches and other pain still continue, which makes it hard to plan anything, because I'm not sure how I'm going to be feeling. Last week I missed a few informal gatherings with friends because of pain or sleeping. On Monday, I've had to cancel hanging out with one of my friends. And today I had to cancel an appointment. When I'm not at the doctor's, I'm doing a lot of sleeping. So when people ask to get together with me, I'm a little reluctant to do so. I'm supposed to go to Wisconsin Dells this weekend for a girls' weekend away...9 of us have been planning to hang out together in one large studio. I pray I get this pain under control because I REALLY want to go!
Tomorrow I have an MRI in the morning. It will last a couple hours. NOT looking forward to that. I think they're scanning my brain and some of my spine again. My doctor said that he doesn't expect to find anything. I told him NOT to say that, because every time a doctor has said that, they've found something. I hope to be able to squeeze a nap in before heading to my radiation appointment....ha ha...get it..."heading" to my head radiation. . And most importantly, I'd like to get to the salon or some place where they do waxing. All these steroids I've had to take are causing me to grow a beard. I feel like I'm seeing a Billygoat every time I look in the mirror!
Finally, a continued THANK YOU to everyone for your kind words. I've had so many e-mails, I'm having a hard time responding to them all. But please know that I'm so grateful for all the prayers, help and encouragement.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.

Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon.
Eph 6:10-18 The Message Translation

 
At 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I know the Lord,He heard my cry, and pitied every groan. Long as I live and trouble rise, I'll hasten to His throne".
These are the word to an old Spiritual sang in the Baptist Church, usually led by a Deacon who calls the words out and the congregation responds by repeating them after him, in sort of a moan with emphasis on each word.
The history is not important, I just included it FYI.
Continue to trust Him, I will continue to pray with you.God never fails.

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger cg said...

I love that you have retained your sense of humour ;-) You are in my thoughts daily and you are having a profound effect on my life. We love you (((huggs)))

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Jaye said...

Psalm 30:2
O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.

Jeremiah 17:14
Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise.

Jeremiah 30:17(a)
For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the LORD;

1 Peter 2:24
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

3 John 1:2
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Continually praying for you and your family!

James 5:16
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Love & hugs!

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Marsha said...

What a blessing to see that you have retained your sense of humor through all this crap you have to deal with. I will pray for good results on the MRI and for you to feel well enough to go on your girls weekend.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger KC said...

Channel your inner Jason, Cari! I've been recruiting prayers for you.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger pl said...

I am going to pray for your "restoration to your complete health" (someone said this to me once, and I loved it). I'll settle for no less! You are a wonderful person and you can do this!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Caro said...

The mask only looks creepy on the guy. YOU will bring style to it.

I hope those headaches go away and you get your much deserved girl weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home