UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We're doing the right thing

My husband and I spent another day at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. From our entire trip, we basically learned that we don't have to travel over an hour to get the best medical care. Not only did the Mayo doctors praise our neurosurgeon and the amazing job he did, but they also confirmed the treatment regiment prescribed by my radiation oncologist. They also agreed with radiation and chemo treatment I had already been given. Furthermore, they agreed that unless my new tests revealed new cancer or new information suggesting otherwise, I would not need chemotherapy (YEAH!)

Except for adding a tumor marker test, and the test for a brain fungus, the doctors at Mayo did not give us any new information. However, we don't feel the trip was useless, as it was reassuring to know that we're doing the right thing, and that's what's most important. It was good to be able to run our plan of action by the experts, and to have them answer our...well my husband's...questions.

Like the second neurologist I saw here in the the Twin Cities, the neurologist in Mayo suggested I have a Lumbar Puncture. I am SO grateful to all the people who commented on my blog or sent me private e-mails letting me know that the spinal tap would not be that bad, similar to an epidural. Just knowing that, erased all my fears, and I went into the test with zero anxiety. And everyone was right; the test actually was not bad at all. I've had blood draws that were more painful. The most pain actually came afterwards. My back is quite sore at the puncture site. But that should go away. And hopefully, the headache that can occur about a day later, will not surface. Because I don't think I could handle a severe headache on top of the ones I already have.

Speaking of headaches....no new information about mine. Aside from the possibility that the headaches could be caused by a fungus, which the spinal tap could reveal, my visit to Mayo did not lead me any closer to a solution to my pain and numbness. I'm just going to keep taking the meds prescribed to me and pray that something starts working soon.

A special thank you to my wonderful mother who without complaint continues to care for my kids, and doesn't even hesitate to tell me to go away and enjoy myself. Although it would have been better hanging out under different circumstances, it was still fun spending time alone with my husband. So thanks mom!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

So glad that you went and got peace of mind! It is always good to know you are doing the "right" thing!

Your mom was so sweet when I was asking her if she was continuing to work while at your house and how things were going...Her only comment was that your family was her #1 priority and everything else can wait!!! She also commented that everything is going good with the two kiddos in school and her alone time with Ella.

Please take care and we continue to pray for you and your family!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Jaye said...

That is good news! I'm glad things went and are going, well. God bless your mom, too!

Continually praying, Phil. 1:3!!

Love & hugs!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger mi said...

How great that your experience at the clinic was productive and reassuring. Hopefully that spinal tap w/ find the source of those headaches you can solve that at last!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home