UnDomestic

Writings of a teachermom, choosing to stay home with her kids, while loathing all domestic responsibilities! In late Aug. 2008, I was diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer. After surgery, chemo and radiation, I was given theall clear. However, in the late summer of 2008, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, which metasticized to other areas.

Monday, May 12, 2008

At least one of us can run.

Before I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was training to run the Marine Corps Marathon with my friend Lanette and my sister. This was to be my 5th marathon. For obvious reasons...surgery, chemo...I couldn't run the race which was scheduled in the fall.

I've run on and off during my treatments. Nothing at all consistent. Nothing at all to brag about. Only here and there...everyone once in a long while.

I couldn't wait to be done with radiation so I could get back on the road. With this spring weather, there's nothing I'd rather do than get out there and hit the pavement. After radiation, when it was still too cold to run outside, I took to the treadmill a few times. I'd run a mile, walk a 1/4 mile, run a mile and a half, walk 1/4 mile, etc. I think I made it up to 4 miles, with a little walking in between.

But then this shortness of breath issue suddenly came on. Because even walking up the stairs had me practically gasping for oxygen, I was afraid to even attempt to run. My radiation oncologist's solution so far has been to pump me with more steroids, but it's not doing anything for my breathing.

I met a fellow cancer survivor today to walk around a local lake. During the walk, I felt completely fine. But this didn't surprise me, as to be honest, when you're used to running, walking is a "break." I walked the 2 mile loop, drank some water, and decided that I felt so good, I'd attempt a little running.

Bad idea.

I hadn't run for more than 20 meters when I found myself struggling to breathe. I hit a very short hill, and that was the end of me. I just couldn't run.

I don't want to call my doctor again, because I don't want to just be told to take more steroids. Something is not right. Me being able to run, then suddenly NOT be able to run, means something wrong is going on inside of me. And I'm really frustrated. Because I need to run.

On a different, and much more positive note, Cameron ran the mile in gym last week. Now I don't know how accurate the distance was, but he clocked a 7:59. He was first for the entire 1st grade, and even beat most of the 5th graders in the one class that ran with them.

I do hope we can go running together soon.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Blogger Jaye said...

Praying for you and your lungs (and whatever else is going on inside to go AWAY!), so you can run again. I know how frustrating it is, especially when the weather starts getting nicer. God can take care of this (and wants to - III John 2!).

7:59?! Wow! Cameron should start training for the next Olympics!

 
At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

7:59 for a 1st grader!!! That is awesome!!!! Way to go Cameron!!!

What a beautiful picture of the two of you running together....

...you don't have to tell me here, we can talk thurs, but what has the doctor said now!?!?

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Fantastic Four said...

I was going to ask you wat Cameron got in the mile run! Lincoln got 8 minutes and some seconds and he beat out his brother in fourth grade- he was NOT happy that his first grade brother beat hom by 2 minutes!!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger momo said...

good job for cameron! i wish i could run a 7:59 mile!!!

keep on your doctor. there has to be an answer and with you taking control of things - i am sure you'll get to it.

hugs.

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap. I swear it's in our genes. I'm going to take him running this summer in Ocean City.

-scott

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We definitely will have to sign him up at the weekly children's run this summer in OC.

Mom

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Caro said...

You've got a fast boy!

I hope they find out what is wrong with you soon. I know walking in no way feels as good as running.

BTW, your run times are still better than mine. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home